Home-based Business Licence requirements
A business licence may be issued using your residence as your business address, providing:
- A portion of the residence is to be used for a craft or occupation for administration purposes only.
- No clients are permitted to attend the premises at any time.
- No partnerships or employees are permitted to engage in the running of the business from this residence. Each partner will need to obtain their own licence under their own home address. The only exception is for partnerships between spouses that both live at the same address.
- No person other than one resident member of the family occupying the residence shall be engaged in the home-based business on the premises.
- No more than three home-based business licences shall be issued for one residence.
- There shall be nothing to indicate from the exterior of the dwelling unit or building that it is being used for any purpose other than its principal and approved residential use (no signage permitted).
- No products or materials shall be sold from or within the residence.
- No products, materials, or equipment shall be stored inside and outside the residence, or any accessory building on the property.
- No offensive noise, odour, vibration, smoke, heat, or other objectionable effect shall be produced.
- If you are not the owner of the dwelling unit, you have discussed and received permission to operate the home-based business from the property owner or property manager.
Location and mailing address
Development and Building Services Centre
515 West 10th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V5Z 4A8
Monday, Wednesday, Friday
8:30am to 4:30pm
8:30am to 4:00pm
Free 2-hour parking
West 10th Ave parking lot,
between Cambie and Yukon