Forms and documents

Permit application

Food service guidelines

Food service guidelines are issued by Vancouver Coastal Health for temporary food markets. The guidelines include such information as:

  • The definition of higher-risk foods versus lower-risk foods
  • Conditions of sale
  • Guidelines for market managers

Download the food service guidelines

Marine Event Permit

All organized activities on the water require a Marine Event Permit from the Port of Vancouver.

If you have any questions, call the Port of Vancouver's operations centre at 604-665-9086.

There is no charge for a Marine Event Permit.

Special Event Market Permit

A Special Event Market Permit gives event organizers exclusive control over sales at their special event. The organizers can raise funds by charging vendors to sell their goods or services within the event boundaries.

For more information or to apply, contact the City of Vancouver Special Event Office.

Special occasion liquor license exemption application

You will need to apply for an exemption to your special occasion liquor license if ANY of the following situations applies to your event:

  • You want to run your event beyond standard closing times (10:00 pm for outdoor events or 2:00 a.m. for indoor events).
    Note: This requires additional approvals.
  • You want to sell hard liquor at a public special event.
    Note: This requires additional approvals.
  • You want to charge more for drinks than the prices specified in the Liquor Price Schedule. You can only do this if the event is to raise funds for charity.
  • You hold more than two Special Occasion Licenses per month, or more than 24 per year.
  • You are not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.
  • You want the license fee adjusted  because there are limited hours of liquor service at your event. The Special Occasion Liquor License Manual on the LCLB website has more information.

You can only apply for an exemption if:

  • You are the person who applied for the special occasion liquor license.
  • You are not a professional event organizer or promoter.

Download the form 

Temporary food booth application

You will need a temporary food booth application from Vancouver Coastal Health if you are serving or selling food OR liquor at your event.

You will be operating your own food services

If you are operating your own food services, or operating your own alcohol service areas, you must complete the application.

You will allow others to provide food or alcohol

If you are allowing other individuals or companies to provide food or food services, or to operate your alcohol service locations, you are responsible for ensuring they have the appropriate permits from Vancouver Coastal Health.

Related requirements

In addition, Vancouver Coastal Health has requirements for washrooms, water service and garbage disposal related to operating a temporary food booth or alcohol service location.

Ready to apply for your special event?

Ready to apply? If you are ready to apply for your special event permit, click the link below to go directly to the online application.

Apply for events

Is your event in a park? If your event is in a park, you will also need to fill out the Park Board's application.

Apply for events in parks