Fireworks retail permit
To sell fireworks to the public, you need a permit for each retail location within Vancouver from the Fire Prevention Office.
The City is here to help
Contact the Fire Prevention Branch of Vancouver Fire and Rescue Services directly for help navigating through the permit process or for more information.
Fireworks retail locations cannot be attached to:
- A building containing a care or detention facility
- A residential building
Fireworks must be sold from behind a glass or caged case so customers cannot freely handle the fireworks.
When selling fireworks, it is illegal to sell:
- Roman candles
- Fireworks before October 25 or after October 31
- Fireworks to anyone under the age of 19 years
- Fireworks to anyone over the age of 19 years who does not have a permit to purchase and discharge family fireworks
Disobeying these rules may lead to a $500 fine per violation, according to:
Apply for a fireworks retail permit
- Download and complete a sale of fireworks permit application form. (50 KB)
- Bring your completed form, business licence, driver's licence, and fee payment in person at the Building and Development Services Centre (see contact on page).
You need a fireworks retail permit and business licence for each retail location.
Meet with a fire prevention officer at the Fire Prevention Branch to review your documents (see contact on page). If they are acceptable, the officer will issue you a fireworks retail permit.