Field reviews are part of an alternative permit-issuing process for small renovation projects which will not require major upgrading but which do require a building permit.
We are here to help
For information specific to the proposed project on your property, call the Development and Building Services Centre at 604-873-7611. Our staff will help you determine which permits you need, and help you navigate through the process, so you can speak to your contractor with confidence.
The field review submission checklist is an extensive list of all possible application submission requirements. Please review in detail to determine which documents your project will need.
Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Field review projects are required to comply with the energy requirements of the Vancouver Building Bylaw. The links below is a document that outlines these requirements and exemptions.
Application document links
- Development-building permit application form (253 KB)
- Schedule E1 – Owner's undertaking letter (106 KB)
- Or both of the following;
- Schedule E2 – Owner's undertaking letter for tenant improvements (87 KB)
- Schedule E3 – Tenant's undertaking letter for tenant improvements (86 KB)
Process and timelines
- Call 604-873-7611 and book an appointment. Book an appointment to get help with your application and to submit your application.
- Bring your application, relevant checklists, and supporting documents to your appointment.
- Development and Building Services Centre staff will review your application. They will let you know if your project qualifies for the field review process.
- If your project does not qualify, your application will be directed to the standard permit-issuing process. If your project does qualify, staff will review the rest of your application.
- If your original application is complete, the field review can be completed within about four weeks (dependent on application volume). You will be notified that the review is complete.
- After you receive your notification, contact 3-1-1 to arrange an inspection. 3-1-1 will leave a message for the inspector and the inspector will contact you to confirm the date of the Field Review.
- The inspector will bring your drawings to the site when they conduct the inspection.
- Where appropriate, the inspector will authorize issuance of your permit. The inspector may add conditions to the permit if needed.
- We will notify you when your permit is ready for pick up.
The length of the inspection itself will vary, depending on how much work must be inspected, and what the inspector finds once on site.