Fire sprinkler inspection
If you needed a building permit, a development permit, or a development-building permit to do construction-related work, you will need at least one inspection. Several inspections are needed for most construction or renovation projects.
A regular sprinkler inspection is usually for new construction. A special sprinkler inspection is usually required for renovation work (for example, when a wall has been added or removed and the sprinkler system has been affected as a result).
- If an inspection request is received before 2:00pm on a business day, the inspection will be booked for the following business day.
- If an inspection request is received any time during the weekend or on a holiday, the inspection will be booked for two business days later.
- If you are requesting a specific time for an inspection, call the district inspector during office hours to make arrangements.
- The length of the inspection itself will vary, depending on how much work must be inspected, and what the inspector finds once on site.
Booking an inspection
To book an inspection for permitted work, call one of the following:
- 3-1-1 (outside Vancouver 604-873-7000)
- the 24-hour Fire Sprinkler Inspection line at 604-873-7061
When you request an inspection, have the following information on hand:
- Permit Number
- Address of inspection site
- Type of inspection required
All requests made before 2:00pm will be booked for the following business day.
How to consult with an inspector
On-duty inspectors are available to answer questions and other inquiries. Visit the Development and Building Services Centre.
If you need to speak with a specific district inspector, book a 10-minute meeting. Call 3-1-1 (outside Vancouver: 604-873-7000) by 2:00pm to arrange your appointment for the next business day.
Meetings are scheduled between 8:30am and 9:30am or between 3:00pm and 4:00pm, depending on the inspector.
Other ways you can speak with inspectors:
To find and contact your site's plumbing inspector, view our map of plumbing inspectors (2.5 MB).
We recommend using a computer to view the map. Zoom in and select the yellow speech bubbles to see the inspector's name, phone number, and office hours.
Cancelling an inspection
To cancel an inspection
- Call 3-1-1. If you cancel before the cancellation deadline, you will receive a case number.
- Make sure that someone on site knows the case number so that they can give it to the inspector if the inspector shows up at the original time. This will help you avoid being charged a re-inspection fee.
If you do not cancel before the cancellation deadline, you may have to pay a re-inspection fee when you re-book.
||Before 2:00pm on Friday. If Friday was a holiday, before Thursday 2:00pm.
||Before 2:00pm on Monday. If Monday was a holiday, before Friday 2:00pm.
||Before 2:00pm on Tuesday.
||Before 2:00pm on Wednesday.
||Before 2:00pm on Thursday.
Inspection fees are included in the permit.
However, you will have to pay a re-inspection fee of $163.00 plus GST if:
- You miss one or more meetings as a result of access
- The inspector finds incomplete work that had been identified on a previous inspection
- The inspector finds too many non-compliances
Guide to permit- and inspection-related fees
View the schedule of fees and permits (400 KB)
Location and mailing address
Development and Building Services Centre
515 West 10th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V5Z 4A8
Monday, Wednesday, Friday
8:30am to 4:30pm
8:30am to 4:00pm
Free 2-hour parking
West 10th Ave parking lot,
between Cambie and Yukon