How to apply for a fire hydrant use permit
Confirm the hydrants you need are available
Phone the Water Design branch at 604-873-7357.
Where to apply
Apply for a fire hydrant permit at the Client Service Centre, on the 5th floor of the Crossroads building at 507 West Broadway.
What to bring when you apply for your permit
To apply for a permit, visit the Client Service Centre and provide:
- The exact location and serial number of the hydrants you want to use
- The backflow prevention assembly serial number and a copy of the assembly test report
- Your stated purpose for using the hydrant
This is the process for obtaining and returning your permit:
- Fill out the application form and pay for the permit in person
- Return your permit when you are done with the hydrants
- Get your deposit back after a City inspector confirms there is no damage to the hydrant
Rules and restrictions
There are rules and restrictions for fire hydrant use.
- Use only one hydrant at a time, or you will affect the water pressure of the City's water system.
- Install a tested backflow preventer on the hydrant and use a hydrant key to operate it.
We do not issue hydrant use permits to:
- Fill swimming pools
- Irrigate gardens and lawns
- Mix concrete
- Pressure-wash surfaces
Fire hydrant permit fees
The fee is due when you apply for the fire hydrant permit. You can pay by cash, cheque, credit card, or debit card.
||$50.00 per hydrant (5-hydrant maximum)
5th floor, Crossroads
507 West Broadway
(at Cambie St)
Vancouver BC, V5Z 0B4
Monday to Friday
8:30am to 5:00pm