If your dog is licensed and wearing its tag, Animal Services will contact you and make all efforts to reunite you with your lost dog.
To find your lost dog, you can also:
- Call 3-1-1 to create a lost pet report
- Create a post on Craigslist with a picture and description of your pet - our staff check these reports regularly
- Create a lost pet report on PetLynx - all pets in the Vancouver Animal Shelter are entered on PetLynx
- Create a post on the Missing Pets in BC page on Facebook
- Inquire at shelters outside of Vancouver
For lost cats, contact the BC SPCA .
Call 3-1-1 to report a stray dog without its owner. We return licensed dogs that were loose to their owners. Unlicensed dogs are placed in kennels until their owners claim them. Dogs that aren't claimed by their owners will be held for at least three business days before we evaluates the dogs for adoption.
If you're holding a loose dog, phone 3-1-1 to have us pick it up for free. Or, drop the stray dog off at the Vancouver Animal Shelter during opening hours.
For stray cats, contact the BC SPCA .
Prevent your dog getting lost
Buy a dog licence. It dramatically increases your chances of reuniting with your dog if it's ever lost. Your dog gets one free ride home per calendar year to avoid being taken to our shelter.
You can also:
- Shut and latch your fence gates
- Install screens on your windows and doors
- Keep your pets indoors during events with fireworks like New Year's Eve, Halloween, and Canada Day
- Spay or neuter your dogs so they're less likely to roam for mates