A special inspection is an inspection of all systems and structures in an existing building. The inspection will:
- Assess general code compliance.
- Identify upgrading requirements, including any permits needed for the work.
Will be required if you wish to:
- Move into or run a business in a former marijuana grow-operation.
- Add a secondary suite to your home.
- Convert a building to a strata.
May be required if you want do work on or occupy a building that has been:
- Altered without permits.
- Damaged by fire.
- Unoccupied for a long time.
Can be requested if you are starting or moving a business and want to know:
- If the space is suitable for what you want to use it for.
- What upgrading might be needed.
Process and Timelines
- Download and fill out one of the following forms
- Take the form to the Development and Building Services Centre.
- Once a special inspection has been requested, it will take at least 7 days to set up. If several departments will be doing inspections, it can take as long at 3 months for all inspections to be completed. The length of each inspection varies, depending on how much work must be inspected, and what the inspector finds once on site.
- After an inspection, each inspector will send out a letter identifying the changes or improvements needed to bring the property up to code. If a change of use is proposed, the letter will identify the changes needed to bring the property up to code for the proposed use.
- The letter will be issued 2-3 weeks after the inspector visits.