Zones are the areas in which a city is divided according to how the land in each of those areas is used.
Zoning regulations and guidelines use these areas to determine what is allowed, what isn't allowed, and what is encouraged to be developed.
Zoning guidelines and regulations are the rules that, for example:
- Keep an industrial manufacturing plant being built in the midst of a residential neighbourhood.
- Help ensure a heritage neighbourhood maintains its unique and historical character.
- Encourage new building and renovations that are sustainable for the long-term.
Updated green zoning policies
In an effort to reduce the environmental footprint of Vancouver's buildings, Council requires that all new buildings on rezoned sites in the city be built to LEED Gold standard.
This green rezoning policy will:
- Increase the number of third-party certified green buildings in Vancouver
- Transform the market, by increasing consumer choice and awareness of green buildings
- Develop a process that is workable for industry participants who wish to rezone their properties
- Nurture an already rapidly growing green building industry in Vancouver
This policy has been in effect since January 2011.