Home > About Vancouver > All News > Jericho Beach restoration returns nature to the water's edge

Jericho Beach restoration returns nature to the water's edge

June 20 2013

Jericho Beach

The Vancouver Park Board celebrated the official completion of the Jericho Beach habitat and environmental restoration June 19.

The Park Board restored the historic beach around the former Jericho Marginal Wharf, a remnant of a former Royal Canadian Air Force station in operation from 1921 to 1945. This $2 million project has returned the site to its original natural beauty, created new habitat for local plants and animals, and protected the foreshore environment to improve beach habitat for invertebrates, spawning fish, and foraging shoreline birds.

The result is a well-connected native habitat transitioning from the water’s edge to a woodland forest – a rare opportunity for both residents and wildlife in a major urban setting. The restored Jericho Beach site includes a lookout with viewing binoculars, walking trails, seating, and interpretive signs to reflect the area’s rich and varied history from First Nations settlement to a public beach park.

In 2010, following a two year broad-based community engagement process about future plans for the site, the Park Board approved the demolition and removal of the Jericho Marginal Wharf for reasons of public safety and concerns about creosote timber piles in the marine environment.

This project aligns with the Greenest City 2020 Action Plan “Access to Nature” goals and the Park Board’s Strategic Plan “Healthy Ecosystems” goal. The safe removal of the wharf and beach habitat restoration were supported by the Burrard Environmental Review Committee.