Home > About Vancouver > All News > Kinder Morgan fails to respond to critical questions from Vancouver and Burnaby

Kinder Morgan fails to respond to critical questions from Vancouver and Burnaby

February 27 2015

"The City continues to find very significant gaps in the information that Kinder Morgan has provided for a project that puts our environment and our economy at risk,” says Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson.

Downtown Vancouver
Photograph by Tourism Vancouver (Albert Normandin)

With the final round of NEB questioning complete, we (Vancouver and Burnaby) have found that nearly half of our critical questions regarding Kinder Morgan's pipeline expansion proposal remain unanswered.

Number of questions unanswered

Kinder Morgan failed to provide adequate answers and information to:

  • 291 questions or 49 per cent of the nearly 600 questions submitted by us
  • 315 questions or 46 per cent of the 688 questions submitted by the City of Burnaby

“The continued lack of information from Kinder Morgan and their inability to adequately answer questions about their emergency management plans is a huge concern for residents and businesses in Vancouver and across the region,” says Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson. “The City continues to find very significant gaps in the information that Kinder Morgan has provided for a project that puts our environment and our economy at risk.”

“In May of last year, we submitted 1,679 questions, 62 per cent of which Kinder Morgan chose not to answer and for which they gave only partial answers to 14 per cent,” says Burnaby Mayor Derek Corrigan. “Because the city has very significant questions that focus on the hundreds of ways in which Kinder Morgan’s proposed pipeline and tank farm would threaten our city and region’s safety, security and livability, we again asked Kinder Morgan to provide answers. Unfortunately – but not surprisingly – Kinder Morgan has again failed to show respect for our citizens’ questions by refusing to answer almost half.”

About our questions to Kinder Morgan

We (Vancouver and Burnaby) submitted to the National Energy Board over 1,200 questions in response to Kinder Morgan’s 15,000-page proposal to triple the amount of oil shipped to and stored in Burnaby (from Alberta’s oilsands for export via Burrard Inlet) in January for the second round of intervenor requests.

The questions cover a broad range of issues, including discrepancies between estimated levels of job creation, climate change, and risks to human health. The majority of the questions focus on the proposed project’s health, safety, and environmental risks and Kinder Morgan’s plans to manage these risks.

The NEB’s decision to exclude oral cross-examination, instead relying on written questions and answers makes this the second and final opportunity for approved intervenors to attempt to have key questions about Kinder Morgan’s proposal answered by the Texas-based company. The first was in May of 2014. At that time, Kinder Morgan failed to answer the vast majority of both cities’ most significant questions, noting that there would be a second opportunity to ask questions.

We will continue to demand that all issues be addressed

For many questions that they refused to provide answers for, Kinder Morgan asserts that they are providing the level of information that is required by the National Energy Board.

Because many of the unanswered questions are fundamental to the safety and wellbeing of citizens and the regional environment, we (Vancouver and Burnaby) will continue to demand that Kinder Morgan be required by the National Energy Board to address all of the issues that could have significant negative impacts.

Learn more about Vancouver's submission to the NEB