Volunteering at Carnegie Centre
Our volunteers are the driving force behind the delivery of every program and service provided by Carnegie Community Centre.
Most of our volunteers are residents of the Downtown Eastside. Carnegie volunteers make positive contributions to the community they serve every day.
How to become a volunteer
Volunteer orientations are scheduled for Mondays and Saturdays at 2:30pm.
If you are planning to attend, call 604-665-2220 in the morning to make sure the meeting has not been cancelled.
We’ll take you on a tour of the building so you can see what positions are available, and learn about how things work here at Carnegie. Can’t make it at those times? Just call to make other arrangements.
Learning Centre receptionist
|Learning Centre tutor||
|Receptionist (main level and second floor)||
|Pool / billiards room monitor||
|Weight room monitor||
|Seniors coffee seller||
|Oppenheimer Park volunteers||
Benefits of volunteering
Volunteering is a great opportunity to improve your skills, learn new skills, and meet people.
Carnegie Community Centre also provides the following benefits to its volunteers:
- A free full-course banquet dinner in the theatre once a month
- Chili dinner the Monday before cheque day when there are five weeks between cheques
- Two volunteer tickets for every hour worked to use for food and beverages in our cafeteria
- Free four- to five-day camping trips to various locations
- Day trips to museums, sporting events, picnics, swimming, bowling, golfing, hiking, barbeques, and more
- An annual Recognition Week in April, including parties, trips, banquet, gifts, and a gala dance
- An annual Volunteer-of-the-Year Recognition Award, and celebration dinner
- When possible, training and various workshops to enhance your skills