Food and sustainable food systems
Creating a system for producing, processing, distributing, and consuming food that is environmentally, socially, and economically sustainable is a City priority.
In fact, one of the main goals of the Greenest City initiative is to become a global leader in urban food systems by 2020.
To achieve this goal, the City has started a number of major food initiatives. Council is working to:
- Establish partnerships with private businesses, non-profit groups, and volunteers
- Develop innovative new policies and regulations to create a sustainable food system
- Increase public awareness of the link between local food and a healthy environment
- Invest in urban food projects through grants and funding
- Increase city and neighbourhood food assets by 50%
You can help, too. Learn how to create a healthy, sustainable food system that benefits people, the local economy, environment, and development of our city.