Recent developments with this project
Extension of lease approved by Council
June 15, 2016 - Council approved an extension to the lease for up to six years ending on March 31, 2021. The lease of this City owned site is held with Community Builders Benevolence Foundation and additional services to residents are provided by Vancouver Aboriginal Friendship Centre Society in agreement with the City.
In the longer term, the 3475 East Hastings location is anticipated to be a future redevelopment site. The City owns numerous properties and has purchased this site as a part of the lands for housing acquisition strategy.
View the Skeena transitional housing program description (450 KB)
Community Advisory Committee meeting minutes
April 2, 2014 – The committee met on February 25. You can view the meeting minutes on the Community Builders Benevolence Foundation webpage for documents relating to 3475 East Hastings.
Community Advisory Committee will balance diverse perspectives
January 2014 – 16 volunteer members from the project, partner agencies, and the community formed the Community Advisory Committee. Members were selected to balance various voices and represent larger groups. The committee includes:
- 4 project members from Community Builders (the operator), Vancouver Aboriginal Friendship Society (the partner), and the building tenants
- 4 partner agency members from Vancouver Police, the Community Policing Centre, the City of Vancouver, and BC Housing
- 8 community members from local organizations, businesses, residents, the Vancouver School Board, and school parent advisory committees
December 11, 2013 – The City held an information session about the temporary housing (amenities, tenants, operations, and timeline) and how it relates to our goal of ending street homelessness by 2015.
At this meeting, participants were invited to join a Community Advisory Committee to monitor progress and mitigate any issues that may arise. The committee will include representation from:
- Local residents and businesses
- BC Housing
- Building operators, Community Builders Benevolence Foundation and Vancouver Aboriginal Friendship Society
- City of Vancouver
- Vancouver Police Department
- Vancouver School Board