City Services – Who to Call
The Vancouver Police do not have the exclusive responsibility of managing all issues that affect the safety, public health, and welfare of Vancouver's citizens. We do however, recognize the need to form partnerships within the community to identify and resolve such issues.
Problems involving graffiti, garbage, unsafe street conditions and municipal code violations should be reported to the local department holding responsibility.
City of Vancouver 311 Contact Centre
7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Residents and businesses of Vancouver can call 311 from landlines and cell phones within city limits for information and services, including:
- service needs such as traffic signal repairs
- information requests regarding traffic / parking issues
- concerns regarding parking tickets, noise, graffiti, etc.
For any city numbers not listed here, call the City of Vancouver Call Centre at 311 or if you are calling from outside of Vancouver, dial (604) 873-7000.
Streets, Sidewalks & Curbs
- report potholes, cracks, and other problems with street surfaces, sidewalks, and curbs
Missing or Damaged Signs, Street Lights and Traffic Signals
- missing or damaged signs on city property
- missing, damaged or blocked traffic signs
- non-functioning street lights and traffic signals
Water Mains / Water Quality
- water main issues or dirty water
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 311 (outside of Vancouver, call 604-873-7000) for:
- abandoned garbage in lanes or on streets
- couches and mattresses on city property
- garbage containers (dumpsters) overflowing in city lanes
- for recycling and yard waste
- rotting garbage on private property (posing a health concern)
Call the Vancouver City Call Centre at 311 or if you are calling from outside of Vancouver, (604) 873-7000, to report incidents involving animals that threaten public health and safety (bites, vicious animals, strays), including any aggressive wildlife and coyotes.
Building Maintenance Standards Violations
Violations of the City's Standards of Maintenance (PDF) regulations include but are not limited to:
- poor condition of retaining walls and fences
- poor condition of fire escapes, stairways, balconies, porches, walks, driveways and parking spaces
- structurally unsound buildings or foundations
- canopies, marquees, signs and other attachments not kept in good repair
- wrecked vehicles and boats on any land (some exceptions occur)
- overgrowth of weeds, brush or trees on private property
- insecure vacant structures
- land not kept clean and free of rubbish, debris, objects or materials
- uninhabitable rental or lodging housing
- building or remodeling without permit
- illegal uses of residential property
- garages converted to living spaces
To report any of these violations, contact City Hall at 311 (604-873-7000 from outside of Vancouver), and leave a message for the Property Use Inspector in your area.
Noise By-Law Issues
Construction noise is limited to the following hours:
- Monday through Friday 7:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- prohibited on Sundays and Holidays
Construction on a street is limited to the following hours:
- Monday through Friday 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.