Police Officers : The Job | Qualifications | The Process | Training | Exempt Candidates | Information Sessions | Recruitment FAQs
The Vancouver Police Department is looking for exceptional people. Do you meet our requirements? We set the bar high for applicants to the VPD, but these qualifications are certainly within reach.
The VPD has four core values:
These core values can't be taught in any school, and they are non-negotiable for our applicants. Without these, it would be impossible to have a successful career with the VPD.
The VPD's basic requirements include:
- minimum 19 years of age
- excellent character
- physically fit and in excellent health
- Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident
- no criminal convictions, no adult criminal charges pending
- no history of improper conduct, poor employment, military, educational, or driving record that would affect your suitability for policing duties
- a valid Class 5 driver's license with a good driving record
- be able to type a minimum of 25 words per minute
- meet the visual acuity and hearing standards
- Grade 12 diploma or equivalent, PLUS a minimum 30 credits of academic post secondary education from an accredited university or college, e.g. economics, social sciences, history or literature
Please note this education requirement is a pre-requisite. You must meet this requirement in order to apply. If you have questions about whether or not you meet the educational requirement, attend a monthly Information Session and speak with a recruiter.
Remember, having the basic requirements may get your foot in the door, but will not guarantee your success in a competitive hiring process.
- a degree or diploma in any field of study
- knowledge of a second language or culture
- community volunteer experience (see Volunteer Opportunities with the VPD)
- work experience in a supervisory capacity and / or having significant interaction with the public
Ready to Apply?
If you meet our qualifications, or if you'd just like to find out more about a career in policing, come out to one of our Information Sessions. We hold them every month at the JIBC Police Academy in New Westminster. It's a chance to hear our presentation, and also talk one on one with a recruiter.
Once you attend an Information Session, you'll be able to pick up an application form to start the application process.
Do You Live in British Columbia?
If you live in the area of British Columbia between Hope and Pemberton, or southern Vancouver Island, you can attend a monthly Information Session in person to obtain an application.
If you live in B.C., but are outside this region, please review the Recruiting website in detail to ensure you meet the basic requirements to apply. If you apply, but do not meet the basic requirements, your application will be rejected.
Next, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the term "Out of Town Applicant" in the subject line. Be sure to include your mailing address so an application package can be mailed to you.
Other Canadian and International Applicants
At the current time, we are not accepting applications from people outside the province of B.C. Check back for updates.
Are you an Exempt / Current Serving Canadian Police Officer?
See Exempt Candidates for information for police officers currently serving with another Canadian police agency who are interested in a career with the VPD.
If you are a police officer with a foreign police agency (for example, a police agency in the United States or United Kingdom), please note that you WILL NOT be considered as an exempt applicant. Foreign police officers are required to complete the application process and training as though they were new recruits. There is no exemption from training for foreign police officers.