Police Officers : The Job | Qualifications | The Process | Training | Experienced Police Officers (Exempts) | Information Sessions | Recruitment FAQs
The Vancouver Police Department is looking for exceptional people. Do you meet our requirements? We set the bar high for applicants to the VPD, but these qualifications are certainly within reach.
The VPD has four core values:
These core values can't be taught in any school, and they are non-negotiable for our applicants. Without these, it would be impossible to have a successful career with the VPD.
The VPD's basic requirements include:
- minimum 19 years of age
- excellent character
- physically fit and in excellent health
- Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident
- no criminal convictions, no adult criminal charges pending
- no history of improper conduct, poor employment, military, educational, or driving record that would affect your suitability for policing duties
- a valid Class 5 driver's license with a good driving record
- meet the visual acuity and hearing standards
- Grade 12 diploma or equivalent, PLUS a minimum 30 credits of academic post secondary education from an accredited university or college, e.g. economics, social sciences, history or literature
Please note this education requirement is a pre-requisite. You must meet this requirement in order to apply. If you have questions about whether or not you meet the educational requirement, attend a monthly Information Session and speak with a recruiter.
Remember, having the basic requirements may get your foot in the door, but will not guarantee your success in a competitive hiring process.
- a degree or diploma in any field of study
- knowledge of a second language or culture
- community volunteer experience (see Volunteer Opportunities with the VPD)
- work experience in a supervisory capacity and / or having significant interaction with the public
Want to Learn More?
If you meet our qualifications, or if you would just like to find out more about a career in policing, come out to one of our Information Sessions. We hold them every month at the JIBC Police Academy in New Westminster. It's a chance to hear our presentation, and also talk one on one with a recruiter.
NEW!! APPLY ONLINE!!
Applying to the VPD is now easier than ever before. Your first step is simply to click on the button below:
Do You Live in British Columbia?
If you live in the area of British Columbia between Hope and Pemberton, or southern Vancouver Island, you can attend a monthly Information Session in person to meet our recruiters and have your questions answered.
If you live in B.C., but are outside this region, please review the Recruiting website in detail to ensure you meet the basic requirements to apply. If you apply, but do not meet the basic requirements, your application will be rejected.
Applying to the VPD is now easier than ever before - you can now apply online.
Other Canadian and International Applicants
At the current time, we are not accepting applications from outside of Canada. If you are a Canadian citizen or a Permanent Resident and live outside the city of Vancouver area, your application will be accepted, however, you should be aware of special considerations. These will be outlined in detail once you apply.
Are you an Exempt / Current Serving Canadian Police Officer?
See Experienced Officer (Exempt) Candidates for information for police officers currently serving with another Canadian police agency who are interested in a career with the VPD.
If you are a police officer with a foreign police agency (for example, a police agency in the United States or United Kingdom), please note that you WILL NOT be considered as an exempt applicant. Foreign police officers are required to complete the application process and training as though they were new recruits. There is no exemption from training for foreign police officers.