We're Hiring for 2015!
VPD Traffic Authority positions are sworn special municipal constables appointed under the Police Act. Traffic Authority members have restricted peace officer status, but are not police officers. They perform specific authorized duties, primarily directing traffic at public, private, and community events.
Traffic Authority members serve with dedication and commitment, upholding the professionalism and standards of the Vancouver Police Department while wearing the uniform with pride and honour. The Traffic Authority position appeals to those who are interested in an auxiliary / on-call job.
A minimum commitment of one year in the unit is required.
NEW!! APPLY ONLINE!!
Traffic Authority Applicants: Attending one of the VPD's monthly Information Sessions at the Justice Institute of B.C. in New Westminster is strongly recommended. Applying to the VPD is now easier than ever before. Your first step is simply to click on the button below:
To apply for a position with the Traffic Authority, you must meet the following requirements:
- minimum 19 years of age
- Grade 12 diploma or GED equivalent
- physically fit and in excellent health
- Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- a valid BC Class 5 driver’s license with no restrictions and a good driving record
- vision corrected to 20/20 and must meet colour vision standards
- no business or employment conflict of interest
- no criminal convictions, no adult criminal charges pending
- no history of improper conduct, poor employment, military, education or driving record, that would affect your suitability for uniform duties
- apply online to begin the process
- entrance exam – a score of 50% is required to pass (sample written exam)
- integrity and lifestyle questionnaire - documents outlining your personal background
- Correctional Officer Physical Abilities Test (COPAT)
- intake interview – conducted by a Recruiting detective, this includes a review of your integrity and lifestyle questionnaire
- polygraph examination
- medical exam (with your own doctor)
- background investigation
Applicants selected for a position with the Traffic Authority Unit will complete a formal paid training program over an eight- to ten-week period on evenings and weekends. The training will be conducted at the Vancouver Police Department. Training includes, but is not limited to:
- legal studies
- use of force
- radio procedure
- traffic intersection control
You will be paid during the training period, and upon successful completion of the training program, you will be sworn in as a special municipal constable, and will then be eligible to work shifts with the Traffic Authority Unit.
Traffic Authority members work outdoors in all weather conditions directing traffic. They are often called upon to work at large events like concerts, sporting events, and the annual Celebration of Light fireworks festival. The nature of the work means a lot of time on your feet and working around vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
There are no set hours for Traffic Authority shifts. You must make yourself available in advance for shifts, but can also tailor your availability around your work or school schedule.
The rate structure is:
Step 1 $22.18
Step 2 $23.95
Step 3 $25.98
A total of 1500 hours of work is required to advance to the next step.
- uniforms and equipment are supplied
- uniform cleaning is provided
- 12% in lieu of benefits