Make a Freedom of Information request
1. Complete and send the FOI request form
- Keep your request simple, clear, and focused to reduce processing time and possible service fees.
- If you have questions or need clarification about the City’s records before you send your request, contact the Information and Privacy Office (see our contact information on this page).
Chrome users: Your PDF viewer must be Adobe Reader. To enable Adobe Reader, enter chrome://plugins in the address bar and click Enable in the entry for Adobe Reader. Don't see it listed? Install Adobe Reader
Mail or fax
Complete the form above, print it, and send it to the contact information on this page.
2. We acknowledge and review your request
- We will acknowledge your request within 24 hours of receipt, except on weekends and holidays.
- The FOI Manager reviews your request, making sure that your request is for information that the City holds, and not some other public body.
- We may contact you to clarify your request.
- We will contact you officially, letting you know when you can expect to have your request fulfilled. The Act requires us the City to respond to your FOI request within 30 days of receiving it. If your request is complex, we may extend this time within what the Act allows, but will inform you of this within the 30 days.
- We contact the appropriate department managers to inform them of your request.
3. We estimate the time and possible fees needed to fulfill your request
- You will NOT be charged for access to your own personal information or for the first three hours spent locating and retrieving records.
- If it will take longer than three hours to retrieve the records you requested and prepare them, we will prepare and send you an estimate invoice.
- You must pay a 50% deposit of the estimate invoice before the appropriate department continues with your request. Or, you may choose to revise your request to reduce the time it will take to complete it.
- Be green and get your requested information electronically to avoid fees to prepare and photocopy records.
|Locate, retrieve, produce, and prepare records||$7.50/15 minutes ($30.00/hour)|
|Photocopy records (in black and white)||$0.25/copy|
4. We gather the information
- Department staff assigned to your request search for and gather all the records related to your request, and send them to the FOI office.
- If your request asks for a large number of records or for third-party records, we may take up to 60 days to respond and will inform you of this extension.
5. We review the information for privacy concerns
- We review the records and withhold any information would be an invasion of privacy or cause harm by one of the means listed in the Act.
- If a record has information we cannot provide, we cover that information with a gray box, and mark it with the relevant section(s) of the Act that explains why we withheld the information.
- If a record has several sections of information we cannot provide, we may refuse access to that entire record.
6. We send you the information
- We prepare our final response package with your requested information and send it to you.