Temporary food application

You will need a temporary food application from Vancouver Coastal Health if you are serving or selling food OR liquor at your event.

If you will be operating your own food services

If you are operating your own food services, or operating your own alcohol service areas, you must complete the application.

If others will provide food or alcohol

If you are allowing other individuals or companies to provide food or food services, or to operate your alcohol service locations, you are responsible for ensuring they have the appropriate permits from Vancouver Coastal Health.

Related requirements

In addition, Vancouver Coastal Health has requirements for washrooms, water service and garbage disposal related to operating a temporary food booth or alcohol service location.

Open food

Open food is food that is not pre-packaged. Open food includes any food that is cooked, prepared or assembled at the site, such as:

  • Tacos or burritos
  • Rice or noodle bowls
  • Fruit salads
  • Sandwiches, baos, pita wraps
  • Pot pies
  • Donairs and gyros
  • “Make your own” salads
  • Other similar products

Pre-packaged food

Pre-packaged food is any non-perishable food that is prepared off site by a licenced facility. Pre-packaged food typically includes commercially available products like:

  • Nut and dried fruit mixes
  • Packaged energy or granola bars
  • Canned or bottled juice
  • Fruit juice popsicles
  • Other similar items

Vancouver Coastal Health

Vancouver Coastal Health regulates food service at events, including issuing permits for temporary food booths.

For more information

Specific questions about food service can be directed to:

Shelley Beaudet, Vancouver Coastal Health

By phone: 604-675-3807

By email:


Ready to apply for your special event?

Ready to apply? If you are ready to apply for your special event permit, click the link below to go directly to the online application.

Apply for events

Is your event in a park? If your event is in a park, you will also need to fill out the Park Board's application.

Apply for events in parks