Marketing and canvassing for charity
Non-profit and charitable organizations raising money for a charitable cause in the City of Vancouver require a Soliciting for Charity licence.
This licence is not required for fund-raising efforts by church organizations, religious denominations or other bona fide societies where donations are sought solely from members of those organizations or societies.
The licence is issued for the term of the soliciting activity, and will expire no later than 31 December of the year the licence is granted.
Additional business licences are required if you:
- Will be occupying commercial space in Vancouver
- A professional fund raiser is used
Download the business licence application form PDF file (250 KB)
Supporting documents for new applicants
If you are a first-time applicant, or want to change the nature of your campaign or charitable purpose, you will need to:
- Complete a Soliciting for Charity application form
- Provide proof that the organization or society is:
- Incorporated in good standing under the Society Act or
- Registered under the Income Tax Act (for example, a community association)
- Provide proof that the organization is raising funds for a charitable purpose
- If you are raising money on behalf of a community association, provide a letter of authorization from the organization on behalf of which fund raising is taking place
If you are renewing your licence with no changes to your campaign or the nature of your charitable purpose, you will need to complete a Soliciting for Charity Application form for every fundraising campaign.
Download the soliciting for charity application form PDF file (59 KB)
Conditions may be applied to the nature, location, and duration of your campaign. Applications may be referred to City Council for approval.
- Bring your completed application form, all supporting documents if you are a new applicant, and fee to the Development and Building Services Centre.