Sidewalk activities

You can license the use of sidewalk property owned by the City for retail and entertainment purposes. 

Temporary Expedited Patio Program (TEPP)

To support business recovery due to COVID-19, we have created an expedited patio permit. Businesses can quickly apply to convert on-street parking or sidewalk spaces into temporary patios. 

  The Temporary Expedited Patio Program doesn't apply to complex patios or any patio that doesn't fall within the program.

Review the steps and apply for a TEPP permit 

Street food vending permits

Permit, application, and general information for street food vendors and food cart operators.

Roaming street food vending

If you want to sell food on city property using a vending unit that you move from location to location, you need a roaming food vending permit.

Street vending (non-food)

Permit, application, and general information for non-food street vendors.

Mobile special event vending permit

A mobile special event vending permit lets you to sell goods within two blocks of the boundary of a City-recognized special event that is already at capacity with other vendors. Permits are sold by the day.

Merchandise display permit

This permit allows businesses to display merchandise for sale in display units on the sidewalk in front of their business. Read the requirements, view the bylaw, request an application.

Other retail sidewalk opportunities

Banners and flags

Find out how to apply to have street banners and flags installed advertising your non-profit group, charitable organization or special event in Vancouver.

Busking and entertainment

Find out what is required to busk in Vancouver streets.

Patio permit

Restaurant or cafes can get a patio permit. Permits are available for a patio located on a sidewalk or on your establishment's property.