Discarding cigarette butts on the ground is littering and subject to a minimum fine of $100 up to $10,000 under the Street and Traffic Bylaw No. 2849.
Help us maintain our outdoor ashtrays
If an outdoor ashtray is full or needs servicing, please report this to us through VanConnect.
Your waste is your responsibility. You can help protect our parks, beaches, waterways, and wildlife, and prevent fires by properly disposing of your cigarette butts in a waste receptacle, ashtray, or pocket ashtray, and by encouraging others to do the same.
Tobacco and cannabis smoking is prohibited in parks and beaches and in many public spaces, such as in transit shelters, customer service areas, and some plazas, as well as within 6 meters of a window, doorway, or air intake.
Pocket Ashtray Pilot Program
Pocket ashtrays serve as an on-the-go cigarette butt container. They are easy to use, prevent fires, protect our waterways, and reduce litter.
Users can store cigarette butts in their pocket ashtray until they are near a waste bin, where the ashtrays can be emptied and then reused.
We will be distributing pocket ashtrays for free, while supplies last, at various locations as part of our anti-litter outreach efforts.
Locations where pocket ashtrays are available
Contact your preferred location before visiting due to COVID-19 protocols.
- Roundhouse Community Arts and Recreation Centre
- Vancouver Aquatic Centre
- West End Community Centre
Community Policing Centres
- Collingwood External web site, opens in new tab
- Grandview Woodland External web site, opens in new tab
- Granville Downtown South External website, opens in new tab
- Hastings Sunrise External web site, opens in new tab
- Kerrisdale Oakridge Marpole External web site, opens in new tab
- Strathcona External web site, opens in new tab
- West End Coal Harbour External web site, opens in new tab
Join or lead a litter cleanup
Litter cleanups are a fun and meaningful opportunity for residents to gather friends, family, and colleagues together to keep their neighbourhoods looking spectacular and to build a sense of community and purpose.
Important note COVID-19 update: To comply with Provincial Health Orders, we have temporarily suspended our Neighbourhood Cleanup Party program. Adopt-a-Block cleanups will continue for individuals and households.