On March 28, 2023, Council enacted a by-law that repeals all single-use beverage cup requirements from License By-law No. 4450 PDF file (493 KB) (section 15.8) and Ticket Offences By-law No. 9360. PDF file (231 KB)
Effective May 1, 2023, businesses are no longer required to:
- Charge a minimum $0.25 fee on single-use beverage cups
- Report the number of single-use beverage cups when renewing their business licence
- Accept customers’ clean reusable cups for drinks ordered in-store
Businesses can renew their 2023 business licence without reporting the number of single-use cups distributed in 2022, and are not required to report single-use cups with future business licence renewals.
Questions about single-use cup reporting?
Need help in other languages? Translation services are available:
- For Cantonese, Mandarin, and Vietnamese, call 778-722-2242 to connect with the hua foundation, a non-profit organization providing outreach and education on the single-use item by-laws in these languages on behalf of the City.
- For other languages, call 3-1-1.