Our vision is for Vancouver to be a zero waste community by 2040.
A zero waste community is a community that supports sustainable resource use, a healthy economy, affordability, vibrant and inclusive neighbourhoods, and equal opportunity through the elimination of solid waste.
Zero Waste 2040 is our long-term strategic plan to become a zero waste community.
The plan includes bold, forward looking policies and actions to help stimulate, support, and allow Vancouver to achieve zero waste. Some of these actions can be implemented right away, while some will lay the ground work to progress and evolve over time.
Pursuing a zero waste future
As a city we've committed to:
- Conserve resources
- Prevent waste of all types, including wasted food at all points between farm and table
- Compost inedible food or convert it into fuel
- Repair and maintain products and materials to extend their lives
- Share, reuse, and refurbish products and materials before recycling them
Zero Waste 2040 actions support the Climate Emergency Action Plan and Greenest City goals, by:
- Producing renewable energy
- Keeping pollution out of the environment
- Ensuring everyone has access to healthy food
- Diversifying and grow our economy