"I thought that adopting a catch basin was really interesting because we can all give back to the community in small ways, and make an overall greater impact." - Hailey
What's happeningHelp us kick off the season and join a community catch basin clean-up event
2. Search for an event using the activity code:
- Saturday, November 4, 2023
- Dunbar Community Centre, 4747 Dunbar St.
- Activity code: 466226
- Sunday, November 5, 2023
- West End Community Centre, 870 Denman St.
- Activity code: 477802
- Saturday, November 18, 2023
- Douglas Park Community Centre, 801 W 22 Ave.
- Activity code: 471126
Fall and winter months could mean heavier rain or snow. With falling leaves and other debris of city life, clogged catch basins can lead to flooded streets and trash washing into adjacent waterways.
Fortunately, we benefit from a small army of ‘adopters’ who give their time and energy to keep neighborhood catch basins clear.
Adopt a catch basin and help keep your neighbourhood a vibrant, safe, and healthy space.
Vancouver has 45,000 catch basins, with about 39,500 that need adopting. When you sign up to adopt a catch basin and keep it clear, you:
- Protect public and private property from flooding
- Protect water quality by keeping leaves and debris from flowing into our rivers and streams
- Provide a fun, safe way to involve kids in giving back to the community
Adoption in three steps
- Choose and name your catch basin
- Check your email inbox for a welcome package
- Let the catch basin care begin!
Adopted a catch basin? Download your certificate PDF file (729 KB)
Is your catch basin not on the map or do you have other questions or comments about the program?
How to care for your catch basin
Caring for your catch basin is easy! The best time to check on your catch basin is before and after a heavy rainfall and when trees lose their leaves.
Check to make sure your catch basin is clear of leaves, debris, and litter.
If your catch basin is blocked, use a rake, broom, or shovel to push leaves and debris away from the curb and catch basin grate. This will allow water to drain into the catch basin and prevent flooding.