Apply to reinstate or appeal your suspended alarm permit
If your alarm has been suspended because of too many false alarms, you will need to apply to have it reinstated. You will be sent a bill in the mail with the amount owed and payment instructions.
Cheques should be made payable to City of Vancouver.
|Permit type||Reinstatement fee|
|Small business or commercial [less than 140 m² (1,507 ft²) of floor area protected by a security alarm system]||$125|
|Large business or commercial [140 m² (1,507 ft²) or greater of floor area protected by a security alarm system]||$250|
If you have been suspended more than once, the reinstatement fee will be doubled.
How to reinstate your suspended permit
To reinstate your alarm permit after a suspension, you need to:
- Have your security alarm system inspected to help determine the cause of the false alarms and to make sure the system is functioning correctly
- Download and complete the alarm inspection form PDF file (98 KB)
- Gather supporting documentation (such as work orders, purchase orders, and receipts)
- Submit your inspection form and reinstatement fee (see the instructions on your bill) by:
- By mail
PO BOX 7878
Vancouver, BC V6B 4E2
- In-person, 24 hours per day
City Hall mail slot (at the 12th Ave entrance)
453 West 12th Avenue
- By mail
Vancouver Police will contact you to confirm that your coverage has been reinstated.
Appeal your security alarm permit suspension
You can appeal the suspension of your permit with the Vancouver Police Board, which will temporarily stop your suspension until the Appeal Panel of the Police Board meets. A final decision will be sent to you in writing.
Appeal instructions are included with your bill for permit reinstatement.