Construction projects and any change of land use or occupancy on private property will require a building permit.
It is important that your project complies with the Vancouver Building By-law to meet life safety, livability, accessibility, and sustainability requirements. A building permit is the tool we use to achieve these requirements.
Not sure if you need a building permit? Review when you need a permit
Confirm if a building permit application has been received or permit issued
Find a permit or application by address, number, or date.
Reduce wait times: We are making changes to speed up permitting and reduce wait times. Learn about changes to building
Streamline building permits
To help improve permit processing times, new developments who require excavation and shoring may be eligible to receive their building permit in advance of their development permit.
Eligible projects include those providing:
- Social housing or secured market rental housing
- Cultural and recreational uses such as an artist studio, community centre or neighbourhood house, library, museum or archive, and park or playground;
- Institutional uses
You must submit a building permit application under the Certified Professional Program. Contact your Development Permit Project Facilitator for more information and applicable conditions.
Note You may be required to submit a letter of credit to cover the cost associated with backfilling the excavated sties.
Don’t follow the steps to getting a building permit if you:
- Are renovating or building a house or laneway house: Review the steps to renovating or building a house or laneway house
- Are a small business owner planning a renovation or looking to start a business: Find out how the Small Business Renovation Centre can help
- Have a small renovation project that doesn’t trigger major upgrades: Review the “field review” process for getting a building permit
Steps to getting a building permit
Contact the Development and Building Services Centre online or by phone at 604-873-7611.
Permits, inspections, and forms
Review regulations and apply for the required permits for your construction or renovation project.
Book or cancel an electrical, plumbing, building, fire sprinkler, gas, or sidewalk inspection for your construction or renovation project.
View and download the building or development permit application forms and submission requirements.