Permitting info session: May 16 at 2pm
Looking to renovate your commercial business but are not sure where to start? Do you have questions about the permitting process?
Register for our Commercial Renovations - Permitting Info Session
Are you a small business owner planning a renovation or looking to move or start a business in Vancouver?
We are here to help
- We offer assistance to small business owners who have found a great location, but aren't sure if it’s suitable for their business.
- We help with hands-on support for small business owners who are experiencing difficulty understanding our regulations, permits, and procedures.
- We provide clear and comprehensive direction up-front from our experienced staff to help our customers make an informed decision about the suitability of a property or the viability of a proposed renovation.
What we will do
- Meet with you to better understand your project and the challenges you are facing
- Research and investigate to determine the most efficient way to help you on your way
- Identify other City departments that need to be involved and identify any roadblocks throughout the process
Our renovation centre can help with a variety of small businesses including:
- Small schools
- Small fitness centres
- Coffee shops
- Small performing art spaces
Permit processing times for May 2023
Elapsed time measures from the date that an application generates a permit number to when the permit is issued. Timelines are influenced by the volume of instream applications to be processed, completeness of the application, site/project specific requirements, customer response times, and more.
Permit processing workflow
Prepare and submit your application to us
We work with you to review your application
Book your field review inspection
We inspect your site and once the inspection is passed, we issue your permit
What we need to know to best help you
- What type of business do you plan to operate?
- What type of business was in the space before?
- What is your address and do you know your zoning?
- Does the building have a sprinkler system?
- How big is your suite or unit, and what floor are you on?
- Will you be sharing the space with another business?
- Do you have direct access to the unit from the street?
- Is there any parking on the site?
- Do you have any floor plans of the unit or a site plan?
Contact us online to submit your CRC proposal details and contact information.
Note When filling out the contact us form, please enter "CRC Project" in the "Other Subject" line or "Description" field to help us quickly identify your request.
Visit the Building and Development Services Centre at 515 West 10th Avenue and ask for a referral.