Multi-family and commercial / industrial buildings

When removing multi-family and commercial or industrial buildings, there is no minimum recycling and reuse rate, except when required as a condition of a rezoning approval.

We encourage you to recycle as much material as possible. Some materials, such as drywall, must be recycled because they are banned from the landfill.

Use the tabs below for requirements, application forms, and fees.



  1. Prepare the following items:
    Item Instructions
    Demolition checklist (153 KB) Application checklist for all required plans and documents. Find required forms
    Site profile form (BC Ministry of Environment) (50 KB) Complete the form using the guidance on completing site profile forms (BC Ministry of Environment) (310 KB) . If your project is exempt from completing a site profile, complete the site profile exemption declaration (50 KB)
  2. Submit the completed forms, along with any supporting documents or drawings, to the Development and Building Services Centre in person.
  3. The City reviews your development or building permit application for environmental considerations and impacts to trees on City and private property.
  4. Receive your salvage and abatement permit.
    • Start removing non-structural salvageable building materials and hazardous building materials.
    • Track all work related to reuse, recycling, or disposal of building materials.
    • Keep your receipts.
  5. Have a qualified professional complete the Hazardous Materials Report Form  (1.6 MB)
  6. Receive your demolition permit The permit may be issued immediately. If there are concerns about environmental considerations, a field review and site profile may be required before the permit is issued.

Permit fees

The cost of a demolition permit has three components:

  1. The demolition permit fee, if applicable
  2. The building permit fee
  3. The cost-of-work fee, based on the estimated retail cost of the demolition work.

 Note: These amounts only apply to the demolition permit itself. Other permits or licenses must be paid for separately, at the appropriate counter or department. The fees schedule has more information.

You pay the fees when you apply for the permit. You can pay by cash, cheque, debit, or credit.