Demolition permit with no recycling requirements

When taking down a house that was built in or after 1950, there is no required reuse and recycling rate.

You must have your building or development permit before you begin demolition work.

Use the tabs below for the requirements, application forms, and fees for demolition permits with no recycling requirements.


  1. Prepare the following items:
    Item Instructions
    Demolition checklist (153 KB) Application checklist for all required plans and documents. Find required forms
    Site profile form (BC Ministry of Environment) (50 KB) Complete the form using the guidance on completing site profile forms (BC Ministry of Environment) (310 KB) . If your project is exempt from completing a site profile, complete the site profile exemption declaration (50 KB)
  2. Submit the completed forms, supporting drawings, and permit fees listed in the Fees tab to the Development and Building Services Centre in person.
  3. The City reviews your development or building permit application for environmental considerations and impact on trees (both on City property and on private property).
  4. Receive your salvage and abatement permit.
    • Start removing non-structural salvageable building materials and hazardous building materials.
    • Track all work related to reuse, recycling, or disposing of building materials.
    • Keep your receipts.
  5. Have a qualified professional complete the Hazardous Materials Report Form  (1.6 MB).
  6. Receive your development or building permit and your demolition permit. Begin demolishing the house.

Permit fees

The cost of a demolition permit has three components:

  1. The demolition permit fee
  2. The building permit fee
  3. The cost-of-work fee, based on the estimated retail cost of the demolition work.

 Note: These amounts only apply to the demolition permit itself. Other permits or licenses must be paid for separately, at the appropriate counter or department. The fees schedule has more information.

You pay the fees when you apply for the permit. You can pay by cash, cheque, debit, or credit.