Two abandoned houses

Private property concern

We put limits on the things people can do on, and with, their property to help ensure that general standards of health, safety, and cleanliness are maintained for the benefit of everyone.

If the issue calls for an inspection, our inspectors will try to schedule an inspection within a week. If the property owner is not home during the inspection, the inspector will send a letter describing what they found and what the next steps are.

If a private property's vegetation encroaches on another private property, it is a civil matter between the property owners.

Report a private property concern

Other concerns we can help with

You can request a property use inspection by calling 3-1-1. We also take reports for: 

  • Suspected hoarding 
  • Unsanitary floors, walls, and ceilings
  • Home-based businesses where customers are coming on site
  • Illegal suites and illegal uses
  • Operating without a business licence

You must give your name and contact information and specify the address in question. The inspector assigned to your complaint may contact you for more information before proceeding to the site.