Japanese beetle on a leaf
Katja Schulz, Creative Commons 2.0

Japanese beetle treatment and containment

2024 update

Vancouver’s Japanese beetle regulated area remains the same for 2024.

The requirements for moving plant and soil materials out of a regulated area also remain the same.

Under the CFIA guidelines, only plants with soil or soil-related matter attached require a movement certificate year-round to leave the regulated area.

Soil alone and above-ground plants and plant parts are not regulated.

Map of regulated area (1.7 MB)

As part of an ongoing, collaborative response to prevent the spread of the Japanese beetle (Popillia japonica) in BC, we are working with:

  • Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA)
  • BC Ministry of Agriculture and Food (BCMAF) 
  • Vancouver Board of Parks and Recreation 
  • Invasive Species Council of BC (ISCBC)
  • BC Landscape and Nursery Association (BCLNA)
  • City of Burnaby
  • City of Port Coquitlam
  • City of Richmond
  • Other governmental and non-governmental stakeholders

Disposal rules

Plant and soil waste

What we're doing

Treating City property

Have questions?

Send questions to us about the treatment plan for public land using our online form.

View all other topics below to see which organization to contact.

  • Identify regulated area
  • Restrict plant, soil, and landscape waste movement
  • Permits for moving restricted waste
  • Place traps for beetles
  • Intake reported beetle sightings

Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA)


Phone: 604-292-5742

  • Eradication effort
  • Decision to eradicate invasive beetle
  • Treatment product being used

BC Ministry of Agriculture

  • Beetle education and awareness

Invasive Species Council of BC

Phone: 1-888-933-3722