Plumbing and drainage repair tips
Property owners can hire a private contractor to perform sewer or drainage pipe maintenance on private property.
- The City authorizes licensed plumbers to clean and clear the full portion of the sewer connection from a home to the sewer main
- Private plumbing companies are allowed to fully clean and inspect a sewer connection from a home to the sewer main
Only the City or its agents are permitted to excavate or repair the City's portion of the sewer connection within the City right-of-way
Techniques for identifying drainage problems
A plumbing contractor can provide the following services to locate breaks, flat spots, grease, root intrusions, or other common obstacles. Ensure that the contractor provides photos or a DVD as a record.
- Radio wave scoping or tracing of sewer lines
- Video inspection of water pipes
Hiring private drainage contractors
The City cannot recommend specific private contractors for you to hire. You may be able to get referrals for reputable plumbing or drainage companies hired by your friends and co-workers.
IMPORTANT: For large scale projects, request quotes from at least three different companies. The responses should restate the work you expect to be done, as well as how and when the contractor can complete it.
Common sense suggests that you ensure:
- The contractor is registered for insurance coverage with WorkSafe BC. As a homeowner or resident, if you employ a worker or contractor, a gardener or landscaper on a regular basis, you may be required to register for insurance coverage with WorkSafeBC.
- The contractor obtains the required permits for the work involved. Permits ensure that the work will be inspected per the appropriate building guidelines. This will guarantee workmanship and often fulfills a homeowner’s home insurance coverage if further problems arise.
- The contractor provides you with a contract that describes the exact scope of work and the completion date. The scope should include your expectations for the work, including the condition of your property after the work is completed. After excavation, do you want the contractor to cart away the extra dirt, lay down new grass seed, and clean of f the driveway.
- The contractor has a good reputation with the Better Business Bureau. Use the contact information at right to find out more about the contractor.
- The contractor provides references of their past clients that you can visit to gauge the quality of the contractor's work.
- The contractor provides a guarantee for their work.