Updated and simplified land use regulations and policies will result in more streamlined review processes.
What's happeningUpdated user-friendly Zoning and Development By-law in effect November 14, 2022
Council approved changes on July 5, 2022, that will make it easier to find and use information in the by-law. Updates include improved document navigation, enhanced document accessibility features, and clearer rules with diagrams and tables.
Regulation Redesign is a comprehensive review of our land use regulations and related policy documents. The aim of this work is to:
- Simplify and clarify land use regulations and policies to improve ease of use and clarity in order to reduce permit processing times
- Modernize and update the rules, language, and format or land use documents; and the processes to create/amend them
- Improve consistency among land use policies and regulations
- Improve external and internal communication on the land use planning framework and its systems
- Establish a robust and enduring land use framework (including regulations, policies, protocols, and procedures) that is able to adapt well into the future
Submit your ideas
Outcomes of Regulation Redesign will be:
- An updated Zoning and Development By-law with a user-friendly format
- More consistent regulations across district schedules
- More clarity on the purpose of various land use documents (for example, guidelines, bulletins) and how they relate to each other and land use regulations
Updated Zoning and Development By-law orientation sessions
November 1-30, 2022: A series of orientation sessions provided a review of new features and organization of the updated by-law, including information on how to access resources available to support the transition from the previous version of the by-law to the updated by-law.
Over 150 people attended online sessions presented in English, English with Mandarin interpretation, or in-person at the Ross Street Gurdwara. Staff were available during remote office hours to answer questions.
- Presentation slides and resources
- Presentation slides PDF file (2.4 MB)
- Reference Guide PDF file (208 KB) – former and updated locations for regulations in the Zoning and Development By-law
- Amendment Summary PDF file (458 KB) – amendments to administrative and general sections and district schedules
- User guide–How to use the by-law
Updated user-friendly Zoning and Development By-law
July, 2022: On July 5, Council approved changes that will make it easier to find and use information contained within the Zoning and Development By-law. Scheduled for release in mid-November, the updated by-law contains tables, diagrams, re-organized sections, hyperlinks, and accessibility features replacing the existing text-based format. The simplified and more consistent regulations will be easier to understand and apply, which will help to streamline permit review.
- Summary and recommendation PDF file (22 KB)
- Council referral report PDF file (70 MB)
- Memorandum PDF file (103 KB)
- Draft by-law for public hearing PDF file (27 MB)
Regulation Redesign zoning webpages
Zoning and Development By-law
The landing page for the Zoning and Development By-law containing general information on the by-law and its functions.
Zoning and land use document library
Your single reliable source of land use regulations and policies currently in effect.
Zoning and land use amendments
Your single reliable source outlining recent changes to the City's land use by-laws, policies, guidelines, and bulletins.
Process and milestones
Through out the process, we consulted with development and building industry professionals, other businesses, the general public and City staff.
Spring 2018 -
- Review regulatory framework and best practices
- Seek feedback to identify issues with land use regulations and policies and ideas to simplify and clarify them
- Public consultation, listening sessions, kiosk at the development and building services centre, stakeholder roundtable, pop-up events in the community
- Report to Council with first round of regulatory amendments to clarify approval authorities, update regulations and repeal outdated land use documents
Winter 2019 -
Develop options and directions
- Prioritize issues and explore options to simplify and clarify regulations based on engagement feedback
- Develop work streams to address modernizing the Zoning and Development By-law, simplifying regulations and clarifying the land use framework
- Report to Council with regulatory amendments to update sections 2, 10, 11 of the Zoning and Development By-law into a new modernized user-friendly format, simplify regulations, remove gendered terms and repeal outdated land use documents
- Clarify land use framework through creation of an on-line land use document library, new document naming conventions and introduce a new user guide for the Zoning and Development By-law
Further develop and implement solutions
Modernize by-law structure and format
- Develop options and prototype a user-friendly Zoning and Development By-law structure and format
- Draft Zoning and Development By-law in a modernized format
- Report to Council in fall 2022 with a draft reformatted Zoning and Development By-law for adoption
- Implement the by-law and training
Simplify and clarify regulations
- Report to Council in spring 2020 with amendments to the Zoning and Development By-law:
- Introduce new definitions for balconies, porches and decks, update and improve consistency of regulations
- Update sections 3,4, 5 to simplify and organize regulations so they are easier to find and understand
- Report to Council in spring 2021 with amendments to the Zoning and Development By-law on height and horizontal angle of daylight regulations
Endurance of land use framework
- Clarify the purpose and format of land use documents (e.g. guidelines, bulletins)
- Update protocols and procedures for developing regulations and policies
- Improve the search-ability of land use documents
- Update and maintain land use document library webpage
Review draft updated by-law in modernized format
Present draft updated by-law to Council for adoption
Implement the updated by-law and training/orientation sessions
What is Zoning?
Watch the video to learn more: Zoning 101