Extra leaf collection - January 5 update
The extra leaf collection scheduled for December was disrupted due to weather. Crews were redeployed to assist with snow removal.
The next scheduled leaf collection weekends are:
- January 14 and 15 - north collection zones
- January 21 and 22 - south collection zones
Find your pickup days by clicking your collection schedule below, or enter your address into VanCollect.
Tips for ensuring pick-up
- Put extra leaves into paper bags or store-bought bins (maximum 100 litres).
- Set out your leaves for collection before 7am on the scheduled Saturday.
- Place the extra leaf bags or bins in the same location that you set out your garbage.
- Keep filled paper leaf bags as dry as possible before setting them out to help prevent them from tearing during collection.
- Download the VanCollect app for collection reminders to avoid missed collections.
- Do not set out your Green Bin on extra leaf collection weekends.
- Do not use plastic bags of any kind, even those labelled as compostable or biodegradable.
Leaves and other yard trimmings collected from residents’ properties, boulevard, and sidewalks can be put into your Green Bin year-round.
As part of our fall leaf program, we coordinate extra leaf collection for residents with Green Bin service and leaf removal from City streets.
Need a reminder?
Download the VanCollect app and sign-up for leaf collection reminders.
Do your part
Never rake or blow leaves onto catch basins, streets, sidewalks, or bike lanes.
Raking or blowing leaves onto the street or sidewalk can create a safety hazard for pedestrians and cyclists, can cause flooding, and is a fineable offence under the Street and Traffic By-Law.
More options for extra leaves
- Leaves and other yard trimmings can be dropped off for a fee at the Vancouver South Transfer Station (377 West Kent Avenue North) or the Vancouver Landfill in Delta.
- Use your leaves for mulch in your garden.
More fall leaf programs
Leaf removal from City streets
City crews remove leaves from streets on a regular basis from November to January. Please move your vehicle during street cleaning.
Adopt a catch basin
Help prevent flooding in your neighbourhood, adopt a catch basin to care for.
The Vancouver Landfill composting facility creates compost from yard trimmings for sale and donation. You may pick up compost from the landfill.
Keep roads safe
Piles of wet leaves create slippery road conditions, block visibility, and flood drains and nearby areas.
Be a good neighbour: please remove leaves around storm drains.
Raking or blowing leaves onto the street is a fineable offence under the Street and Traffic By-Law (up to $10,000). There are no City By-laws that require residents to clear sidewalks of leaves.