Most items found in household garbage can be diverted from the landfill through reuse, repair, recycling, and composting.
Before disposing an item into your garbage bin, consider if the item can be recycled or composted at home, dropped off for recycling at the Zero Waste Centre or other depots, or donated to local charities for reuse.
Use Waste Wizard to find options for recycling and disposing of items the right way.
If your garbage bin is full and you still have extra garbage that cannot be reused, recycled, or composted, you can:
- Purchase an “extra garbage sticker”
- Place extra garbage in your bag and tie it securely
- Put the “extra garbage sticker” on the bag
- Set the bag out on your regular garbage collection day along with your garbage bin
Ensure that the sticker faces out to the centre of the street or lane, so it is visible to collection crews. Without the sticker, the collection crew will not pick up the bag.
Buy stickers ahead of time, so you are prepared in case they are needed.
If you often find your garbage bin full and still have extra garbage to dispose of, consider getting a larger bin. Find more information
What bags to use and how to set them out
- Use standard garbage bags that are up to 66cm wide by 91cm tall. No shopping bags, please.
- Fill the garbage bags up to 20kg. Don't overfill them.
- Put a sticker on each bag.
- Set out the bags next to your garbage bin on collection day.
Where to buy extra garbage stickers
You can buy extra garbage stickers in person at:
$2 per sticker
Taxes don't apply.