The Vancouver Zero Waste Centre (formerly the Recycling Depot) provides a convenient location for residents to drop off a wide range of materials for reuse and recycling, free of charge, including materials:
- Requiring special handling to protect the environment, such as batteries and propane tanks
- In larger quantities than your curbside bins can hold, particularly if you are moving or doing seasonal cleaning
What's happeningDonate your reusable shopping bags
Do you have a stack of reusable shopping bags at home that you don’t need or use? Donate them to residents in need.
Donated bags will be made available to residents with low incomes and people experiencing homelessness.
Follow these steps before donating your bags to ensure bags can be reused
- Remove all items from inside the bags, including receipts and personal belongings.
- Remove any cardboard or plastic inserts from the bags.
- Wash your bags (in a washing machine or by hand).
- Tumble dry bags on low heat or hang to dry. Ensure bags are completely dry before donating to prevent mold.
- Inspect bags for any damage. Do not donate bags with broken handles, ripped seams, or large holes.
- Lay bags flat on top of each other. Do not stuff bags inside of one another.
Information icon The following items are not accepted as part of this donation stream:
- Single-use plastic and paper shopping bags
- Reusable bags smaller than 23 cm x 30 cm when laid flat
- Reusable bags with sewn-in partitions for wine bottles
- Bags with mold or mildew, paint stains, or contaminated with oil
- Shopping bags on wheels
- Insulated cooler bags
Examples of reusable shopping bags we will accept
Important note If you have more than 100 bags to donate, email ShoppingBagSupportPlan@vancouver.ca to arrange for drop-off in advance. This will help us avoid exceeding the storage capacity at the Zero Waste Centre.
Where to get bags
Find an organization near you where you can pick up free reusable shopping bags for personal use.
Information icon Residents cannot take bags that have been dropped off at the Zero Waste Centre. Due to Zero Waste Centre procedures to protect public safety, including COVID-19 protocols, residents are not allowed to sort through or take any items that have been dropped off at the Zero Waste Centre.
Caution: Drop off garbage at the Transfer Station before dropping off recycling at the Zero Waste Centre due to left turn restrictions on Kent Ave North.
8588 Yukon Street
|Monday to Saturday||8am to 6pm|
|Sunday||9am to 6pm|
|Christmas Day and New Year's Day||Closed|
|All other statutory holidays unless otherwise noted||9am to 4pm|
Accepted Materials accepted for free recycling
Important information Recycling drop-off at Zero Waste Centre is for residential customers only.
Accepted Bicycles and accessories
Accepted Cardboard (flattened)
Accepted Cell phones
Accepted Clothing and textiles, including reusable bags (items must be clean and dry)
Accepted Cooking oil (maximum 10L per day per resident)
Accepted Fire extinguishers (maximum 2 per day per resident)
Accepted Fluorescent light bulbs and tubes
Accepted Foam packaging (Styrofoam) - no foam peanuts
Accepted Glass bottles and jars
Accepted Household batteries
Accepted Large appliances (refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, maximum 3)
Accepted Lawnmowers - electric, battery, or gas-powered (remove battery, drain gasoline and oil before recycling)
Accepted Lead acid car and truck batteries
Accepted Light ballasts
Accepted Metal containers (cans, tins, foil, empty aerosol cans excluding spray paint cans)
Accepted Paper containers (tetra-packs, coffee cups)
Accepted Plastic bags and overwrap
Accepted Plastic containers (jars, jugs, bottles)
Accepted Power tools
Accepted Printed paper and paper packaging (newspaper, magazines, catalogues, writing paper, paper bags)
Accepted Propane tanks (maximum 4 disposable and 2 refillable)
Accepted Scrap metal
Accepted Small appliances
Accepted Smoke and carbon monoxide alarms
Not accepted Materials accepted at the Transfer Station
Fees apply to the following materials accepted for recycling at the Transfer Station. Some materials have volume restrictions.
Not accepted Mattresses and box springs
Not accepted New drywall (gypsum)
Not accepted Food scraps
Not accepted Yard trimmings and unfinished wood waste
Not accepted Materials accepted at other locations
The following materials are not accepted here. They are included in take-back programs and accepted at designated drop-off locations. Use the Waste Wizard to find drop-off locations.
Not accepted Antifreeze and empty antifreeze containers
Not accepted Broken televisions and computer monitors
Not accepted Flammable liquids
Not accepted Medications
Not accepted Paint and empty paint cans
Not accepted Pesticides
Not accepted Tires
Not accepted Used oil, oil filters, and empty oil containers
Preparing items for drop-off
If you are dropping off materials accepted for free at the Zero Waste Centre and materials accepted for a fee at the Transfer Station, we recommend you:
- Sort your materials by product type before loading.
- Load your vehicle with free recyclables first.
- Load garbage and recyclable items requiring a fee next so they can be dropped off first at the Transfer Station before you go to the Zero Waste Centre for recycling.