Awards of Excellence celebrates Vancouver’s most outstanding citizens
We’re so lucky that we have people, organizations, and businesses that are all dedicated to our community and helping others. Congratulations to all the winners.
Mayor Kennedy Stewart
Ten citizens and eight organizations were honoured last night at the annual Awards of Excellence ceremony, a City of Vancouver program that acknowledges outstanding civic achievements made by individuals, organizations and businesses.
The awards celebrate the accomplishments of people and groups whose efforts make Vancouver excellent.
Among the recipients was Dr. Christy Sutherland, BC’s 2018 Family Physician of the Year, as announced by the College of Family Physicians of Canada and the Foundation for Advancing Family Medicine. Dr. Sutherland was awarded the Mayor’s Achievement in recognition of her efforts to make life better for a broad segment of our population.
“Vancouver is such a great city because of all the people who chip and make it a great place to live,” says Mayor Kennedy Stewart. "We’re so lucky that we have people, organizations, and businesses that are all dedicated to our community and helping others. Congratulations to all the winners."
Nominations for five awards were open to everyone, from organizations making a difference in communities, tireless social leaders, and community groups building capacity, and enterprising youth and children. The City also provided $3,000 in bursaries to children and youth recipients.
The winners are as follows:
Mayor’s Achievement Award
- Organization – PHS Community Services Society
- Individual - Dr. Christy Sutherland
- Youth - Urban Native Youth Association
Accessible City Award
- Organization - All Bodies Dance Project
- Individual - Tanny Marks
- Youth - Allie Janowicz
Civic Volunteer Award
- Organization - Community Veterinary Outreach
- Individual - Kyla Epstein
- Youth - Shaheema Nalir
Diversity and Inclusion Award
- Organization - Migrante BC
- Individual - Michelle Nahanee
- Youth - Robin Holmes
Greenest City Leadership Award
- Organization - Hua Foundation
- Individual - Ian Li
- Youth – Jolina Li
Healthy City for All Award
- Organization - Tayybeh: A Celebration of Syrian Cuisine
- Individual - Sarah Helene Beley
- Youth - Yarrow Intergenerational Society for Justice – Youth Volunteers
Mayor Kennedy Stewart and members of the Vancouver City Council were at the ceremony to present the awards.