Events, decisions, and reports at City Council for the week of October 18, 2021
Vancouver City Council met electronically this week to hear and discuss a variety of topics during Council and Standing Committee on Policy and Strategic Priorities meetings.
Tuesday, October 19
This week’s Council meeting began at 9:30am with the reading of the proclamation for Waste Reduction Week. The communications item, Appointment of Council Liaison to the Transportation Advisory Committee PDF file (122 KB); and reports Mountain View Cemetery By-law Amendments and Fee Increases PDF file (299 KB) and 2022 Exempt Seniors Housing PDF file (88 KB) were approved on consent. Also approved on consent were the following referral reports:
- CD-1 Rezoning: 1837-1863 East 11th Avenue and 2631-2685 Victoria Drive PDF file (2 MB)
- Rezoning: 157-163 West King Edward Avenue PDF file (696 KB)
- Rezoning: 707 West 27th Avenue PDF file (717 KB)
- Rezoning: 608-632 West 54th Avenue PDF file (941 KB)
- Rezoning: 197 West 26th Avenue PDF file (732 KB)
- Rezoning: 6225-6263 Yukon Street PDF file (676 KB)
- Rezoning 756 West 26th Avenue PDF file (717 KB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 2735 East 41st Avenue PDF file (2 MB)
- Miscellaneous Amendments Concerning Various CD-1 By-laws PDF file (78 KB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 4992-5138 Ash Street PDF file (2 MB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 5812-5844 Cambie Street PDF file (2 MB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 8460 Ash Street and 8495 Cambie Street PDF file (3 MB)
Following this, Council approved unfinished business, CD-1 Rezoning: 1157 Burrard Street PDF file (23 KB), and Zoning and Development By-law Amendments to Allow Patios for Liquor Manufacturers PDF file (17 KB).
Council then approved the reports on Quarterly Capital Budget Adjustments and Closeouts PDF file (302 KB), Latecomer Policy PDF file (908 KB), and Parking Fee Exemption for Vehicles Displaying Veteran or Memorial Cross Licence Plates PDF file (52 KB).
Council then approved the following referral reports, by-laws, administrative motions, and Council member motions:
- CD-1 Rezoning: 150 West 4th Avenue PDF file (1 MB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 110 West 4th Avenue PDF file (972 KB)
- By-laws 1 to 13 PDF file (4 MB)
- By-laws 14, 15 and 17 to 19 PDF file (701 KB) (By-law 16 was withdrawn)
- Approval of Form of Development – 1008 West 52nd Avenue PDF file (5 MB)
- Requests for Leaves of Absence PDF file (105 KB)
The Court of Revision (Local Improvements) was cancelled.
Thursday, October 21
The Standing Committee on Policy and Strategic Priorities began with a presentation for information only by Dr. Patricia Daly on The Overdoes Crisis and COVID-19 Updates PDF file (4 MB).
At 1:04pm, Council reconvened in Committee thereafter, and heard the staff presentation, asked two rounds of questions to staff and heard up to speaker # 47 on The Future of False Creek South: Advancing a Conceptual Development Plan and Addressing Lease Expiries PDF file (1 MB). At 9:58pm, Council recessed and will reconvene on October 26 at 3pm with speaker 48 of 171.
The next meeting is the Business Licence Hearing, scheduled for Tuesday, October 26, at 9:30am. Find agendas and meeting reports on council.vancouver.ca.
Councillor Melissa DeGenova
"In 2019 I asked Council to give Veterans free year-round parking, said Councillor Melissa De Genova. “It’s been a long road, and I appreciate Council’s support to make this permanent. Complimentary parking in Vancouver is a small gesture of appreciation for the service and sacrifice of our Veterans and Memorial Cross families. It’s a small way to say thanks to those who have given us all so much."