Events, decisions, and reports at City Council this week
Vancouver City Council met electronically this week to hear and discuss a variety of topics during Special Council meeting.
Tuesday, March 31, 2020
Council approved the memo Communication: Changes to 2020 Council Meetings PDF file (32 KB).
Council received a staff presentation PDF file (730 KB) and asked questions of staff on Downtown Eastside (DTES) Capital Grant Allocation PDF file (94 KB), which was approved.
Staff presented on 2020 Cultural Grants (Operating, Annual Assistance, Projects, Cultural Learning and Sharing) PDF file (448 KB). After hearing from one speaker and asking questions of staff, this was approved.
“Before entering politics, I spent most of my adult life working, volunteering, organizing and making in the creative sector; so besides recognizing the importance of these Arts & Culture grants as catalysts for economic development and urban enrichment for me it was very personal,” said Councillor Pete Fry. “Although the City of Vancouver’s Culture | Shift strategy barely received enough support to pass our budget deliberations in December, it was very uplifting to now see Council’s unanimous support for the strategy’s grant recommendations this week – at a time of real crisis for the creative community. Much credit to the passionate advocacy of Vancouverites for reminding us just how very important Arts and Culture are to us, now more than ever.”
“I enthusiastically approved over $6 million in grants to 208 cultural institutions in Vancouver because these grants directly and indirectly support about 15,000 jobs in our city at a time when the COVID-19 pandemic is leaving far too many people unemployed, and because it is the creative artists in all cultures who inspire and bond people through times of crisis,” said Councillor Adriane Carr.
Council approved several reports, referral reports, and by-laws:
- Amendments to Building and Electrical By-laws to adopt revisions to the BC Building Code and Electrical Safety Regulations and miscellaneous changes PDF file (362 KB)
- Annual Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM), Union of British Columbia Municipalities (UBCM) and Lower Mainland Local Government Association (LMLGA) Membership Fees for 2020 to 2021 PDF file (37 KB)
- West End Participatory Budgeting Pilot – Grant Approval PDF file (81 KB)
- Closure and Lease of Portion of Road Adjacent to 3075 Slocan Street PDF file (255 KB)
- Closure and Sale of a Portion of Road Adjacent to 3150 SE Marine Drive PDF file (370 KB)
- Modification of Lease for AIDS Vancouver at 1101 Seymour Street PDF file (80 KB)
Council referred CD-1 Amendment: 2538 Birch Street (formerly 1296 West Broadway) PDF file (3 MB) to the next Council meeting on April 14, 2020.
Council did not approve the following referral reports:
- CD-1 Rezoning: 187-195 West 41st Avenue PDF file (3 MB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 7843 -7845 Cambie Street PDF file (2.5 MB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 3220 Cambie Street PDF file (3 MB)
Council approved the following by-laws and motions:
- By-laws 14 (a to i and k) PDF file (1.6 MB)
- By-law 14 (l) PDF file (79 KB)
- Approval of Form of Development – 3338 Sawmill Crescent PDF file (43 KB)
- Approval of Form of Development – 3510 Fraser Street PDF file (16 KB)
- Resolution: Closure and Sale of a Portion of Road Adjacent to 3150 SE Marine Drive PDF file (228 KB)
The next Council meeting is scheduled for April 14, 2020 at 9:30am.