Events, decisions, and reports at City Council this week
Vancouver City Council met electronically this week to hear and discuss a variety of topics during Council, Public Hearing, Standing Committee on Policy and Strategic Priorities, and Auditor General Committee meetings.
Tuesday, December 8, 2020
Council began the meeting by approving several communication memos, a report, and referral reports:
- Deputy Mayor and Roster of Councillors to Represent Council PDF file (237 KB)
- Appointment of Council Representatives to Boards, Statutory Committees and Non Profit Societies PDF file (131 KB)
- Standing Committee Chairs and Vice-Chairs, and Nomination Sub-Committee January 1, 2021, to November 7, 2022 – with amendments PDF file (126 KB)
- Appointment of Council Liaisons to Advisory Bodies PDF file (236 KB)
- Appointment of Council Representatives to Regional Bodies PDF file (101 KB)
- Approval of Council Initiatives - BIA Renewals and Expansion 2021 PDF file (3 MB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 441-475 West 42nd Avenue PDF file (2 MB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 810 Kingsway PDF file (2 MB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 5740 Cambie Street PDF file (2 MB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 2246-2268 East Broadway PDF file (2 MB)
The Council meeting then turned to the 2021 Capital and Operating Budget.
Council had previously received a staff presentation PDF file (17 MB), asked questions of staff, and heard from speakers on the 2021 Capital and Operating Budget during the Special Council meeting on December 1, 2 and 3, 2020.
During this meeting on Tuesday, December 8, Council asked further questions, debated and approved:
- 2021 Engineering Fees PDF file (511 KB)
- 2021 Annual Review of Water Rates and Water Works By-law Amendments PDF file (327 KB)
- 2021 Annual Review of Sewer Rates Under the Sewer and Watercourse By-law PDF file (310 KB)
- 2021 Solid Waste Utility (SWU) Fees and By-Law Changes PDF file (872 KB)
- 2021 False Creek Neighbourhood Energy Utility (“NEU”) Customer Rates PDF file (2 MB)
After additional discussion and debate, Council also approved the 2021 Capital and Operating Budget PDF file (207 KB) with amendments.
Due to time constraints, remaining items on the Council agenda were referred to the reconvening Council meeting on Thursday, December 10.
On Tuesday evening, a Public Hearing was held. After hearing from staff, applicants and speakers, the following were approved:
- Updated Zoning Regulations for Zero Emissions Residential Buildings PDF file (12 KB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 1325 West 70th Avenue PDF file (18 KB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 2406-2488 Garden Drive PDF file (20 KB)
After hearing from nine speakers on CD-1 Rezoning: 949 West 41st Avenue and 5469-5507 Willow Street (Oakridge Transit Centre) PDF file (123 KB), this was referred to the meeting on Wednesday, December 9, for additional questions to staff, debate and decision.
Wednesday, December 9
The Standing Committee on Policy and Strategic Priorities meeting began with a presentation PDF file (3 MB) on the Vancouver Bird Strategy Update and Implementation PDF file (2 MB). After asking questions of staff, this was approved with an amendment.
Staff also presented PDF file (388 KB) on Single-Use Items: New Date for Enforcing Shopping Bag and Beverage Cup By laws Due to COVID-19 Pandemic PDF file (108 KB). After asking questions of staff, hearing from one speaker, and debate, this was approved with an amendment. Council enacted the associated by-laws PDF file (20 KB) on shopping bags and single-use beverage cups.
After debate, the remaining items on the agenda were also approved:
- Business Licence Panels PDF file (45 KB) – January to June 2021 – with an amendment, after hearing from one speaker
- 2020 Homelessness Action Week and Supportive Housing Grants PDF file (167 KB)
- Appointment of External Auditor for 2021 PDF file (46 KB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 949 West 41st Avenue and 5469-5507 Willow Street (Oakridge Transit Centre) PDF file (20 KB)
Thursday, December 10
Council reconvened on Thursday morning to address unfinished business from Tuesday’s Council meeting, and began by approving By-laws 3 to 20 PDF file (7 MB).
In order to have time to hear from speakers, the motions Ensuring That People With Health and Mobility Issues Have Protection and Support When Elevators Break Down PDF file (77 KB) and Improving Street Lighting in Vancouver PDF file (94 KB) were referred to the Standing Committee on City Finance and Services meeting on January 20, 2021.
At the reconvening Public Hearing meeting on Thursday evening, Amendment to the Rental Housing Stock Official Development Plan PDF file (115 KB) and CD-1 Rezoning: 349 East 6th Avenue PDF file (125 KB) were approved.
This reconvening Public Hearing was a continuation of the Public Hearing on December 2, when the following were approved:
- CD-1 Rezoning: 1265-1281 Kingsway PDF file (120 KB) – approved with an amendment
- CD-1 Rezoning: 4745-4795 Main Street PDF file (120 KB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 7280 Fraser Street PDF file (119 KB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 724 East 56th Avenue PDF file (22 KB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 2924 Venables Street PDF file (122 KB)
Friday, December 11
The Auditor General Committee meeting began by appointing Councillor Fry as Chair and Councillor Kirby-Yung as Vice-Chair.
The committee adopted the Approval of Auditor General Committee Meeting Dates PDF file (31 KB), and heard from one speaker on Approval of Terms of Reference for External Representatives on the Auditor General Committee PDF file (126 KB) before approving as well.
This meeting follows on from an Auditor General Recruitment Committee meeting on December 4, when Council discussed the selection of Chair and Vice-Chair, Approval of Auditor General Recruitment Committee Meeting Dates PDF file (46 KB), and Approval of Terms of Reference for External Representatives on the Auditor General Recruitment Committee PDF file (338 KB). Decisions from this meeting are outlined in the minutes PDF file (47 KB).
An additional Auditor General Recruitment Committee meeting will be held on Tuesday, December 15, at 11:00am.
The next Council meeting is scheduled for January 19, 2021, at 9:30am.