Events, decisions, and reports at City Council this week
Vancouver City Council met electronically this week to hear and discuss a variety of topics during Council, Public Hearing, Standing Committee on Policy and Strategic Priorities, and Special Council meetings.
Tuesday, June 23, 2020
Council received a Mayor’s Overdose Task Force Update via a presentation PDF file (519 KB) from Dr. Patricia Daly, Chief Medical Health Officer, Vancouver Coastal Health, and a City staff presentation PDF file (1.5 MB).
Several reports, referral reports, by-laws, and administrative motions were approved:
- Acquisition of Social Housing at 1555 Robson Street PDF file (70 KB)
- Acquisition of Social Housing at 1485 Davie Street PDF file (206 KB)
- CD-1 Text Amendment: 1335 Howe Street PDF file (854 KB)
- CD-1 Text Amendment: 475 Alexander Street (Japanese Hall) PDF file (528 KB)
- Rezoning: 6031 Dunbar Street PDF file (2 MB)
- Rezoning: 4750 Granville Street PDF file (2 MB)
- Rezoning: 809-889 West 33rd Avenue PDF file (709 KB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 2735 East Hastings Street PDF file (2 MB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 1425 and 1451 East 12th Avenue PDF file (2 MB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 4506 Rupert Street and 3309 Price Street PDF file (2 MB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 526-528 West 37th Avenue PDF file (2 MB)
- Amendments to the Zoning and Development By-law to Increase Rental Housing in the C-2, C-2B, C-2C, and C-2C1 Commercial Districts PDF file (9 MB)
- By-laws 1 to 10 PDF file (4 MB)
- Reconsideration of Council Adopted Resolution entitled “Closure and Sale of a Portion of Road Adjacent to 3150 SE Marine Drive” PDF file (10 MB)
- Resolution: Closure and Sale of a Portion of Road Adjacent to 3150 SE Marine Drive PDF file (886 KB)
The following motions were then considered and approved:
- Requests for Leaves of Absence PDF file (11 KB)
- Reconsideration of Council Decision of Designating Public Space for Responsible Consumption of Alcohol PDF file (50 KB) (original motion from June 2, Designating Public Space for Responsible Consumption of Alcohol, was approved with amendments)
- A Paradigm Shift in How We Partner With Local Businesses PDF file (51 KB)
The following motions were referred to the Standing Committee meeting on Wednesday, in order to hear from speakers:
- Developing an #AllOnBoard and #RaiseARider Pilot PDF file (174 KB)
- A Call for Race-Based and Socio-Demographic Data in B.C. PDF file (181 KB)
- Corner Stores in 21st Century Vancouver: Achieving Complete Communities and Food-Friendly Neighbourhoods PDF file (369 KB)
- Community-based Crisis Management Through Understanding and De-escalation PDF file (253 KB)
The motion Exploring a Pilot for Beverages in Public Spaces in Vancouver PDF file (61 KB) was withdrawn.
On Tuesday evening, a Public Hearing was held.
After hearing from staff and speakers, the following items were approved:
- REZONING: 7843-7845 Cambie Street PDF file (2.5 MB)
- REZONING: 187-195 West 41st Avenue PDF file (21 KB)
- REZONING: 3220 Cambie Street PDF file (2 MB)
- REZONING: 445 Kingsway and 2395 St. George Street PDF file (1 MB) – approved along with actionable items as contained in two memorandums dated June 23, 2020)
Wednesday, June 24, 2020
The Standing Committee on Policy and Strategic Priorities meeting began by approving the Funding Application to BC Community Emergency Preparedness Fund – Flood Risk Assessment, Flood Mapping and Flood Mitigation Planning PDF file (54 KB).
Council received a Presentation: Vancouver Plan Update – Focus on Recovery and Long-term Community Resilience PDF file (2 MB) from City staff.
Speakers were then heard for the following motions referred from Tuesday’s Council meeting, which were then approved:
- Developing an #AllOnBoard and #RaiseARider Pilot PDF file (174 KB) – approved with amendments
- A Call for Race-Based and Socio-Demographic Data in BC PDF file (181 KB)
- Corner Stores in 21st Century Vancouver: Achieving Complete Communities and Food-Friendly Neighbourhoods PDF file (369 KB) – approved with amendments
The motion Community-based Crisis Management Through Understanding and De-escalation PDF file (253 KB) was referred to a Council meeting after the Provincial Review of Police Act Terms of Reference have been established and made public.
The next Public Hearing meeting is scheduled for Thursday, June 25, at 6pm.
Councillor Jean Swanson
Regarding developing an #AllOnBoard and #RaiseARider pilot
“I’m really happy council passed my #AllOnBoard and #RaiseARider motion calling for a staff report on a pilot program of free transit for youth and a discounted or free pass for low income people. Many other cities in the world are doing this now. It would be a good way to put teeth in the city’s equity goals and I hope we can move forward on it soon.”
Regarding a call for race-based and socio-demographic data in BC
“I’m also glad that council passed Christine Boyle and my motion for collecting race-based and socio-demographic data in BC. Thanks to Amal Rana, Shilla Avissa, and Councillor Boyle, and the city’s Ethno-Cultural Committee for all their awesome work on this.”