Events, decisions, and reports at City Council this week
Vancouver City Council met electronically this week to hear and discuss a variety of topics during Council, Public Hearing, and Standing Committee on Policy and Strategic Priorities meetings.
Tuesday, March 9
This week’s Council meeting began with Council approving a number of reports and referral reports:
- Annual Procurement Report 2020 PDF file (177 KB)
- 2021 Renter Services Grants PDF file (226 KB)
- Sign By-law Amendment: 688 Hamilton Street PDF file (997 KB)
- Miscellaneous Amendments to Various CD-1 By-laws PDF file (344 KB)
- CD-1 Text Amendment: 1280 Burrard Street (Formerly 1262-1290 Burrard Street) PDF file (378 KB)
- Rezoning: 4825 Laurel Street PDF file (600 KB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 1616-1698 West Georgia Street PDF file (2 MB)
Staff gave a presentation PDF file (1.5 MB) to Council on 2021 Property Taxation – Targeted Land Assessment Averaging PDF file (1 MB). After asking staff questions and debate, Council approved the recommendations with amendments.
Council also approved the following report, referral reports, by-laws, and administrative motions:
- 2021 Community Services and Other Social Grants PDF file (768 KB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 325-341 West 42nd Avenue PDF file (1.5 MB)
- Amendments to the Zoning and Development By-law to Increase Social Housing in the RM-4 and RM-3A Zoning Districts PDF file (936 KB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 485 West 28th Avenue PDF file (1.4 MB)
- By-Laws 1 to 5 and 7 to 9 PDF file (10 MB)
- Approval of Form of Development - 3435 East Hastings Street PDF file (6.5 MB)
- Approval of Form of Development – 4495 Camosun Street (previously 4175 West 29th Avenue) PDF file (14 MB)
By-law 6, a by-law to amend Street Name By-law No. 4054 regarding the naming of a new street in the new St. Paul’s Hospital Development (Nora Hendrix Way), was referred back to staff.
Council then approved the motion UBCM Resolution – Local Choice: Tools to Improve Representation in Local Government Elections PDF file (24 KB).
Remaining motions on the agenda were referred to the Standing Committee meeting on Wednesday, in order to hear from speakers.
Council then dealt with a new item on the agenda, “Opening Up – Enabling Readiness for Post Pandemic Arts, Events, Hospitality & Tourism”, and approved this.
A Public Hearing was held on Tuesday evening, with Council making the following decisions:
- Rezoning: 183 West King Edward Avenue and 4088 Columbia Street PDF file (121 KB) – approved, after hearing from one speaker
- CD-1 Rezoning: 4118-4138 Cambie Street PDF file (123 KB) – approved, after hearing from one speaker
- CD-1 Rezoning: 1943-1999 East Hastings Street PDF file (134 KB) – approved with one amendment, after hearing from seven speakers
- CD-1 Rezoning: 5910-5998 Cambie Street PDF file (125 KB) – approved, after hearing from two speakers
Wednesday, March 10
The Standing Committee on Policy and Strategic Priorities meeting began with approval of 1566 Commercial Drive – 1174278 BC Ltd (“Bar Corso”) - Liquor Primary Liquor Licence Application - Liquor Establishment Class 1 PDF file (441 KB).
City staff then presented PDF file (2.5 MB) on the Women’s Equity Strategy Updates and Next Steps PDF file (263 KB). After asking staff questions, hearing from three speakers, and Council debate, the report’s recommendations were approved with an amendment.
The Issues Report: Consideration of Rezoning Proposals at 110 and 150 West 4th Avenue PDF file (431 KB) and, after hearing from six speakers, the Approval of Business Improvement Area Renewals and Expansion 2021 PDF file (1.5 MB) were also approved.
Council then turned to motions referred from the previous day’s Council meeting.
After hearing from 11 registered speakers, the motion Implementing the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples in the City of Vancouver PDF file (54 KB) was unanimously approved.
Next, Council heard from four registered speakers on the motion Solidarity with Indian Farmers to the Standing Committee PDF file (109 KB), and debated. Due to time constraints, the decision was deferred to the Standing Committee on City Finance and Services meeting on Wednesday, March 31.
The remaining motions, Understanding COVID-19 Recovery Through Economic and Cultural Stimulus Projects PDF file (176 KB) and Don’t Feed the Wildlife PDF file (25 KB), were also referred to the Standing Committee meeting on March 31.
The next Public Hearing is scheduled for Thursday, March 11, at 6pm. Find agendas and meeting reports on council.vancouver.ca.