Events, decisions, and reports at City Council this week
Vancouver City Council met electronically this week to hear and discuss a variety of topics during Council, Public Hearing, Standing Committee on Policy and Strategic Priorities, and Special Council meetings.
Tuesday, October 6, 2020
Council received a staff presentation PDF file (4 MB) on Vancouver Plan Phase 1 Report: Public Engagement Summary, Provisional Goals and Update on COVID-19 Community Recovery Actions PDF file (8 MB). After asking staff questions and hearing from five speakers, the motion was approved with amendments.
Council approved several reports, referral reports, by-laws and communications memos:
- New Sublease for Community Legal Assistance Society - #300 – 1140 West Pender Street PDF file (2 MB)
- Seksik Early Care and Learning Centre (321 Princess Avenue): Funding Approval and Authorization to Enter Legal Agreement(s) PDF file (517 KB)
- Funding Application to Investing in Canada Infrastructure (Community, Culture and Recreation Infrastructure) Program for the Sunset Seniors Centre Project PDF file (58 KB)
- Vancouver Heritage Register Administrative Update PDF file (263 KB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 24 East Broadway and 2520 Ontario Street PDF file (2 MB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 203-263 West 49th Avenue PDF file (1 MB)
- Amendment to the Regional Context Statement Official Development Plan By-law for 1580 Vernon Drive PDF file (245 KB)
- Rezoning: 376-406 West 45th Avenue PDF file (438 KB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 3701-3743 West Broadway PDF file (6 MB)
- Appointment of Council Representative to the Federation of Canadian Municipalities Board PDF file (33 KB)
- Changes to 2020 Council Meetings Schedule PDF file (41 KB)
Due to time constraints, and so that speakers can be heard, Modification of Lease for Supporting Women’s Alternatives Network (SWAN Vancouver) Society, and Lease for RainCity Housing and Support Society for Overdose Prevention Site, both at 1101 Seymour Street PDF file (723 KB) was referred to the reconvening Council meeting on Tuesday, October 13.
The following motions and reports were referred to the reconvening Council meeting on Wednesday, October 21:
- 2020 Animal Welfare Grant PDF file (69 KB)
- Downtown Eastside (DTES) Plan Implementation Grant Allocation – 2020 under Section 206(1) of the Vancouver Charter PDF file (2 MB)
- Requests for Leaves of Absence PDF file (12 KB)
- Short Term Actions to Preserve and Expand Access to Mental Health Resources and Housing in Grandview-Woodlands PDF file (54 KB)
At the Public Hearing on Tuesday evening, the following items were approved:
- CD-1 Text Amendment: 380-390 West 8th Avenue PDF file (20 KB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 564-570 West 49th Avenue PDF file (22 KB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 720 Beatty Street and 701 Expo Boulevard – approved after hearing from four speakers PDF file (23 KB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 5055 Joyce Street – approved with amendment after hearing from four speakers PDF file (27 KB)
Wednesday, October 7, 2020
At the Standing Committee on Policy and Strategic Priorities meeting, staff gave a presentation PDF file (10 MB) on Temporary Patio and Road Reallocation Updates. Following questions to staff, discussion and debate, the following items were approved:
- Zoning and Development By-law Amendment to allow Temporary Patios for Businesses on Private Property PDF file (59 KB)
- Extending Temporary Expanded Service Areas (TESAs) PDF file (119 KB) and
- Extension to the Temporary Patio Program through COVID-19 Recovery PDF file (80 KB)
Council then approved Contract Award for RFP PS20200058 - Consulting Services for West End Waterfront Parks and Beach Avenue Master Plan PDF file (153 KB), after a staff presentation and asking questions of staff.
The following items were also approved:
- 1178 Davie Street – The Cap on Davie Ltd. (The Capital) Liquor Primary Liquor Licence Application - Liquor Establishment Class 2 PDF file (602 KB)
- 435 West Pender Street - Days Inn Limited Partnership Liquor Primary Licence Application - Liquor Establishment Class 1 PDF file (248 KB)
- Village Farm Landfill Gas Utilization Agreement Extension PDF file (66 KB)
- By-laws 1 to 10 PDF file (10 MB)
Council received the staff report and presentation on Homelessness and Supportive Housing Strategy PDF file (21 MB). Then, following a staff presentation PDF file (15 MB) on SRO Revitalization Progress Update and 2019 Low Income Housing Survey PDF file (7 MB), Council asked questions of staff and heard from 38 speakers on the report. Due to time constraints, debate and decision on this item was referred to the reconvening Standing Committee meeting on Thursday, October 8.
Thursday, October 8, 2020
A Special Council meeting was held on Wednesday, October 8. It began with staff delivering a presentation PDF file (285 KB), for information purposes, on Response to Council Motion: Emergency COVID-19 Relief for Unsheltered Vancouver Residents PDF file (703 KB). Staff then answered questions from Council.
Next, Council heard from 29 speakers on Response to Options Requested by Council on Emergency COVID-19 Relief for Unsheltered Vancouver Residents PDF file (16 KB). After Council discussion and asking questions of staff, this was approved with amendments.
The Standing Committee on Policy and Strategic Priorities reconvened in the afternoon to continue debate and decision on SRO Revitalization Progress Update and 2019 Low Income Housing Survey PDF file (7 MB). Due to time constraints, this item was referred to the reconvening Standing Committee meeting on Thursday, October 15. The following items were also referred to the October 15 meeting:
- Prohibition of “No Pets” Clauses in Rental Contracts PDF file (140 KB)
- Rent Forgiveness Program PDF file (58 KB)
- Ensuring Equity for Speakers Using Translation PDF file (57 KB)
- Calling on the Federal and Provincial Governments to Make Emancipation Day an Official Holiday PDF file (96 KB)
- Endorsement of the Fossil Fuel Non-Proliferation Treaty PDF file (64 KB)
- A Closer Look at Tiny Homes and Shelters PDF file (82 KB)
- Improving the Circularity of Vancouver’s Economy PDF file (100 KB)
- Sustaining Public Safety as a Core Service in the City of Vancouver PDF file (87 KB)
- Protecting Tenants - Taking Action Against Renovictions PDF file (64 KB)
The next Council meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, October 20, at 9:30 am.