Events, decisions, and reports at City Council this week
Vancouver City Council met this week to hear and deliberate a variety of topics during regular Council, Public Hearing, and Policy and Strategic Priorities meetings.
Tuesday, October 22, 2019
City staff then gave a presentation PDF file (5 MB) on the Broadway Plan – Phase 1 Engagement and Proposed Guiding Principles. After three public speakers and debate the report PDF file (23 MB) was approved with amendments.
Council approved several Communications and Administrative Reports:
- Standing Committee Charis and Vice-Chairs, and Nominations SubCommittee – November 5, 2019 to October 31, 2020 PDF file (120 KB) was approved on consent
- Appointment of Council Representatives to Regional Bodies PDF file (118 KB) was approved on consent
- Appointment of Council Representatives to Boards, Statutory Committees and Non-Profit Societies PDF file (47 KB) was approved on consent
- Business Licence/Chauffeur’s Permit Hearing Panels – January to July 2020 PDF file (85 KB) was approved on consent
- Vancouver Community Sports Hosting Grant – Fall 2019 Intake PDF file (207 KB) was approved on consent
- Appointment of External Auditor for 2020 PDF file (56 KB) was approved on consent
- Mountain View Cemetery By-Law Amendments PDF file (1 MB) was approved on consent
- Social Policy Grants for Neighbourhood and Non-Profit Capacity-Building, Food Security and Social Innovation PDF file (240 KB) was approved on consent
Council approved several by-laws:
Council approved the following Administrative Motions:
- Approval of Form of Development: CD-1 – 5118 Cambie Street PDF file (14 KB)
- Approval of Form of Development – 1261 Hornby Street PDF file (9 KB)
On Tuesday evening a Public Hearing was held and the following applications were approved unanimously:
- TEXT AMENDMENTS: Miscellaneous and Housekeeping Amendments – Zoning and Development By-law, Sign By-law and Rental Housing Stock Official Development Plan By-law PDF file (16 KB)
- TEXT AMENDMENT: 3560-3570 Hull Street and 2070-2090 East 20th Avenue PDF file (12 KB)
Council then received presentations from staff and the applicant team PDF file (5.3 MB), asked questions, received correspondence, and heard from 14 speakers on REZONING: 1002 Station Street and 250-310 Prior Street (New St. Paul’s Hospital and Health Campus) PDF file (68 KB). This application was then referred to the Regular Council meeting on November 5, 2019, as Unfinished Business.
Wednesday, October 23, 2019
On Wednesday a Policy and Strategic Priorities meeting was held.
- The Contract Award for Supply and Delivery of Liquid Asphalts for Paving PDF file (48 KB) was approved on consent.
- The report Amendments to the Procedure By-law No. 9756 PDF file (138 KB) was approved with amendments.
- Establishing an Independent Auditor General Office for the City of Vancouver PDF file (148 KB) was approved with amendments.
- A Collaborative and New Approach to Oppenheimer Park and Other Public Spaces PDF file (58 KB) was approved with amendments.
Thursday, October 24, 2019
On Thursday evening the Policy and Strategic Priorities meeting was continued.
- Increasing Affordable Housing Options through Character House Incentives in RS Zones PDF file (44 KB) was approved with amendments after Council heard from a total of four speakers on the motion.
- Extinguishing Consumer Fireworks PDF file (24 KB) was referred to the next Regular Council meeting after Council heard from a total of 13 speakers on the motion.
- Four Pillars Drug Strategy Review and Additional Resources PDF file (52 KB) referred to the next Regular Council meeting as Unfinished Business.
Council will reconvene at the next regular scheduled meeting on Tuesday, November 5, 2019 at 9:30am.