Events, decisions, and reports at City Council this week
Following the summer break, Vancouver City Council convened this week to hear and deliberate on a variety of topics during Regular Council, Public Hearing and Policy and Strategic Priorities meetings.
Tuesday, September 10
Council began with staff presenting Culture|Shift: Blanketing the City in Arts and Culture: Vancouver Culture Plan 2020-2029 PDF file (3.4 MB), an over-arching, ten-year culture plan for the City, which includes strategic directions, goals and priority actions. Culture|Shift combines actions from Making Space for Arts and Culture, the culture infrastructure plan, and City-led actions arising from the Vancouver Music Strategy, developed in partnership with industry to support the diverse music sector in Vancouver. After hearing from 19 speakers on the topic, Council approved the motion the following day. Read more about Culture|Shift
Staff also presented to Council PDF file (4.2 MB) and submitted a report PDF file (202 KB) proposing a new and updated Special Events Policy Framework including process and operational improvements, financial investments and capacity building. After hearing from several speakers on this topic, Council approved the report, with amendments.
Council also approved several Administrative and Policy Reports:
- 2019 UBCM Conference – Sponsorship of Delegate Workshops PDF file (41 KB)
- Travel Approval Request – Livable Cities Forum: Building Better Communities through Resilience – October 28, 2019 PDF file (42 KB)
- 2020 Interest Rate Property Tax Arrears PDF file (45 KB)
- Rezoning: 168 West 44th Avenue PDF file (421 KB)
- Rezoning: 7239-7255 Oak Street PDF file (640 KB)
- Rezoning: 435-475 West 28th Avenue PDF file (683 KB)
- Rezoning: 46-96 West King Edward Avenue PDF file (728 KB)
- CD-1 Text Amendment: 1630 West 15th Avenue PDF file (1 MB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 3429-3469 Fraser Street PDF file (1.7 MB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 3279-3297 Vanness Avenue PDF file (2.5 MB)
Council approved several by-laws:
Council also approved the motion on notice Late Resolution to UBCM: Implementation of Recommendations from the National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls PDF file (20 KB)
Council heard from the public on several topics at Public Hearing held in the evening:
- TEXT AMENDMENT: 2019 Annual Rate Adjustments to Density Bonus Contributions – approved with no changes
- HERITAGE DESIGNATION: 2441 Trinity Street (David Crawford Residence) – approved with no changes
- REZONING: 4500 Oak Street (Children’s & Women’s Health Centre of British Columbia) – approved with no changes
- TEXT AMENDMENTS: Miscellaneous Amendments to CD-1 By-laws – approved with no changes
- HERITAGE DESIGNATION: 1517 Comox Street (George Residence) – approved with no changes
- REZONING: 2499 East 48th Avenue – approved with no changes
- REZONING: 485 West 35th Avenue – approved with no changes
- REZONING: 8636-8656 Oak Street - Council concluded hearing from speakers and closed the receipt of public comments. Questions to staff, debate and decision were referred to the Regular Council meeting, immediately following the Standing Committee on Policy and Strategic Priorities, on September 11, 2019.
Wednesday, September 11
The motion Deterring and Preventing the Distribution and Sale of Psilocybin Mushrooms and/or Other Illicit or Controlled Drugs Unlawfully Sold in the City of Vancouver PDF file (18 KB), which was referred from a July 23 meeting, was heard with 18 people speaking on the topic; Council did not approve the motion.
Council then resumed discussing REZONING: 8636-8656 Oak Street PDF file (2.5 MB) which had been adjourned from Public Hearing on Tuesday evening. After hearing from 22 speakers on this topic the previous night, Council approved the motion with amendments.
Staff then presented to Council regarding 2020 Fee Increases for Rezoning, Development, Building, and other related permits PDF file (607 KB). Council passed this motion with Councillors Hardwick and Kirby-Yung opposed.
Council also approved the motion submitted by Councillor Boyle, Every Neighbourhood for Everyone: Permitting Temporary Modular Housing and Low Income Housing as an Option in RS and RT Zones PDF file (26 KB), with amendments.
Council heard from several speakers on the motion Support for the Vancouver Rowing Club and Coal Harbour as a Multiuse Waterway PDF file (68 KB). Council unanimously approved the motion with amendments.
Council also unanimously approved City Support for the September 2019 Global General Strike for Climate PDF file (66 KB) with amendments.
Council also approved Exploring the Continuation of the Annual Citizens’ Peace Award PDF file (9 KB), submitted by Councillor De Genova, with amendments.
Council also approved several agenda items:
- Contract Award for Base Building Upgrades and Tenant Improvements for 2780 East Broadway PDF file (45 KB)
- 2020 Licence Fee Increase Report PDF file (161 KB)
- 5805 Wales Street: Amendment to Parking By-law PDF file (53 KB)
- Review of Remuneration of Members of Council and Park Board PDF file (10 MB)
- Approval of Form of Development – 4238 Cambie Street PDF file (16 KB)
- Resolution to approve various guidelines:
- Motion PDF file (20 KB)
- RM-7 and RM-7N Guidelines and RM-7AN Guidelines PDF file (2.7 MB)
- RM-8 and RM-8N Guidelines and RM-8A and RM-8AN Guidelines PDF file (1.8 MB)
- RM-9, RM-9A, RM-9N, RM-9AN, and RM-9BN Guidelines PDF file (1.3 MB)
- RM-11 and RM-11N Guidelines PDF file (1.4 MB)
- RM-12N Guidelines PDF file (2.1 MB)
- Community Care Facility - Class B and Group Residence Guidelines PDF file (125 KB)
- Urban Farm Guidelines PDF file (119 KB)
- International Village (572 Beatty Street) CD-1 Guidelines PDF file (894 KB)
- Downtown South Guidelines (excluding Granville Street) PDF file (8.5 MB)
- Granville Street (Downtown South) PDF file (240 KB)
- Housing Design and Technical Guidelines PDF file (702 KB)
- Zero Emissions Building Catalyst Policy PDF file (107 KB)
- Passive House Relaxations – Guidelines for Residences in RS Districts PDF file (156 KB)
- Passive House Relaxations – Guidelines for Larger Projects PDF file (194 KB)
- Approval of Form of Development – 5718 Willow Street PDF file (17 KB)
- Approval of Form of Development – 2109 East Hastings Street (368 Lakewood Drive) PDF file (17 KB)
- Approval of Form of Development – 3568 Hull Street PDF file (19 KB)
Council also approved a By-law to provide for the imposition of interest on delinquent property taxes for 2020 PDF file (17 KB) and a By-law to amend Zoning and Development By-law No. 3575 regarding 2019 Annual Inflationary Adjustments to Density Bonus Contributions available in certain zoning districts PDF file (54 KB).
Council then adjourned. The next Council meeting is a Public Hearing on September 12, 2019 at 6pm. Tune in to the meeting online
The next Regular Council meeting will take place on October 1, 2019.