Events decisions and reports at Council this week
Following Spring Break, Council reconvened this week with a busy agenda including Regular Council, two Public Hearings and Standing Committee on Policy and Strategic Priorities. Decisions and details of the meetings to date are outlined below:
Regular Council – April 2
Council began with the Mayor recognizing the outstanding service of Fire Captain Steve Letourneau with the presentation of a 35-Year Service Medal. Captain Letourneau served at all of Vancouver’s 20 firehalls before his career was cut unexpectedly short by work-related cancer.
Council approved three administrative reports on consent:
- Public Art Programming Partnership at “Offsite” PDF file (185 KB)
- 2018 Statement of Financial Information PDF file (993 KB)
- Neighbourhood Energy Expert Panel PDF file (104 KB)
- Annual Federation of Canadian Municipalities, Union of British Columbia Municipalities and Lower Mainland Local Government Association) Membership Fees for 2019 to 2020 PDF file (39 KB)
Staff presented the Housing Vancouver Annual Progress Report PDF file (2.3 MB), Data Book PDF file (6.8 MB) and Dashboard PDF file (259 KB), including the news that a record number of new homes have been created in Vancouver over the last two years. Read our news release for more information.
Council debated a report on the City Sponsorship Policy PDF file (280 KB) before sending it back to staff
Council approved the enactment of two by-laws and amendments to another seven, as well as approving two administrative motions. To view the approved by-laws, click here for items 1-6 PDF file (539 KB) and here for items 7-9 PDF file (1.9 MB).
The motion requesting Review of SNC-Lavalin Relationship with the City of Vancouver was referred to the April 23rd Council meeting.
Public Hearing – April 2
Council heard from speakers and debated the following motions:
- Text Amendment: 6 West 17th Avenue (Turner Dairy) PDF file (49 KB) - approved unanimously
- Text Amendments: CD-1 (684) at 1837-1937 Main Street, 170-180 East 2nd Avenue and 177-196 East 3rd Avenue, CD-1 (551) at 1265-1299 Howe Street and 835 Drake Street PDF file (70 KB) – approved unanimously
- Text Amendments: Amendments to the Zoning and Development By-law to Revise Design Regulations for ‘Outright’ Two-Family Dwellings (Duplexes) PDF file (71 KB) - approved
- Rezoning: 2715 West 12th Avenue PDF file (73 KB) - approved
- Rezoning: 1303 Kingsway and 3728 Clark Drive PDF file (74 KB) – approved
Standing Committee on Policy and Strategic Priorities - April 3
Council approved the following matters:
- Annual Procurement Report PDF file (347 KB)
- Contract Award for Consultant for Cambie Bridge Rehabilitation PDF file (62 KB)
- Contract Award for Construction of Gastown Parkades Child Care Centres PDF file (363 KB)
After hearing from two speakers, Council unanimously approved an amended version of the motion requesting Support for Adequate Funding for Legal Aid PDF file (19 KB).
Council approved an amended version of the motion Making the Case for Housing All people Counted as Homeless in Shelters or on the Street PDF file (21 KB).
After hearing from 18 speakers regarding Re-Conceptualizing the City’s Rental 100 Program PDF file (36 KB), Council voted to refer the motion to staff for further consideration ahead of the Housing Update Policy Report to Council later this year.