Events, decisions, and reports at Council this week
Vancouver City Council convened this week to hear and deliberate on a variety of topics during Regular Council and the Standing Committee on Policy and Strategic Priorities.
Tuesday, July 9
Staff presented to Council PDF file (5.6 MB) and submitted a report PDF file (2 MB) on the general planning and engagement process for a City-Wide Plan for Vancouver. After hearing from speakers, Council referred discussion and decision to July 16, 2019 at 6pm.
Item 6 – Accountability for Climate Change PDF file (68 KB) in the Report of the Standing Committee on City Finance and Services Meeting of June 27, 2019 was adopted by Council.
Council approved the following administrative reports:
- Boundary Road Maintenance Agreement PDF file (154 KB)
- 402 West Pender Street – Heritage Façade Grant PDF file (887 KB)
- Vancouver Civic Theatres Rental Rates 2019-2023 PDF file (269 KB)
- Vancouver Civic Theatres Grant 2020-2022 PDF file (689 KB)
- 2019 Social Grants – Childcare Enhancement and Other Grants PDF file (233 KB)
Additional administrative reports, including the Updates to On-Street Car Sharing Parking Policy PDF file (636 KB), will be heard at the reconvened Regular Council meeting on July 16, 2019 at 6pm.
The motion Addressing the Continuing Demolition of Character and Heritage Houses in RS Zones was withdrawn.
A Public Hearing took place in the evening, with Council unanimously approving the following:
- Miscellaneous Text Amendments - Zoning and Development By-law, Sign By-law, and RM-12N Guidelines PDF file (97 KB)
- Heritage Designation: 4727 West 2nd Avenue (Edith and Pat McGeer Residence) PDF file (104 KB)
- Text Amendment: 1462 Granville Street PDF file (93 KB)
- Rezoning: 1166 West Pender Street PDF file (97 KB)
Council heard from staff and a number of speakers on rezoning 686-688 East 22nd Avenue, 3811-3891 Fraser Street and 679 East 23rd Avenue PDF file (126 KB). The Public Hearing will reconvene on July 11, 2019 at 6pm to continue hearing from speakers, and to consider additional rezoning applications.
Wednesday, July 10
At Standing Committee on Policy and Strategic Priorities, Council approved the Expansion to 2019 Street Cleaning Grants PDF file (79 KB) on consent.
Following a staff presentation on the Small Business Assessment and Taxation Update PDF file (354 KB), Council moved a new motion to endorse the presentation and direct staff to form a stakeholder engagement process in the development and application of a potential split assessment policy.
Council approved the following staff reports:
- 2019 Annual Inflationary Rate Adjustment to Development Contributions and Associated DCL Amendments PDF file (857 KB)
- Water Works By-law Amendment to Residential Metering PDF file (112 KB)
- 208 East 12th Avenue – Donnelly Holdings Ltd. (Gift Shop), Liquor Primary Liquor Licence Application PDF file (454 KB)
Council approved the motion Accelerating Action on Industrial Affordability PDF file (98 KB). The motion Expanding Downtown Eastside Greenspace and Waterfront Access PDF file (131 KB) was approved with amendments.
Council referred the motion Exploring Amendments to Short-Term Rental Policy and an Affordable Rental Housing Fund at the City of Vancouver PDF file (98 KB) to staff.