Events decisions and reports at Council this week
This week City Council received updates on several key issues impacting Vancouver including renter protections, affordable housing and homelessness.
Tuesday, June 11
Staff presented to Council PDF file (4 MB)and submitted a report PDF file (1 MB) recommending actions to increase renter protections and amendments to the tenant relocation and protection policy. After hearing from several speakers, Council unanimously approved the report.
Council also approved several administrative reports and policy reports on consent, they were:
- East Fraser Lands Waterfront Precinct – Road Closure and Future Land Transfers PDF file (794 KB)
- 2019 Animal Welfare Grant PDF file (63 KB)
- Vancouver Community Sport Hosting Grant PDF file (166 KB)
- Funding Application to Natural Resource Canada's Electric Vehicle and Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Deployment Initiative PDF file (60 KB)
- Resolution for Submission to 2019 UBCM Convention – Electric Vehicle Right to Charge PDF file (60 KB)
- Rezoning: 6908-6969 Ash Street and 575 West 54th Avenue PDF file (45 KB)
- Rezoning: 6808-6888 Ash Street PDF file (518 KB)
- Rezoning: 749-815 West 49th Avenue PDF file (502 KB)
- Rezoning: 686-688 East 22nd Avenue, 3811-3891 Fraser Street and 679 East 23rd Avenue PDF file (3 MB)
- Rezoning: 930 West 49th Avenue and 6525 Fremlin Street PDF file (485 KB)
- Rezoning: 1008 West 47th Avenue and 6335 - 6363 Oak Street PDF file (548 KB)
- Text Amendment: 1462 Granville Street PDF file (297 KB)
- Miscellaneous Amendments: Parking By-law and Guidelines PDF file (146 KB)
- Miscellaneous Amendments - Zoning and Development, Sign By-law and RM-12N Guidelines PDF file (182 KB)
- Rezoning: 1166 West Pender Street PDF file (2.8 MB)
Text Amendment: 650 West 41st Avenue (Oakridge Centre) PDF file (860 KB)was removed from the agenda.
Administrative Report 5 Designation of Vancouver Affordable Housing Agency as Agent of the City to Develop City Land Assets 2031 and 2037 Stainsbury Avenue PDF file (175 KB) was referred to the regular Council meeting following standing committee, which will be reconvening next Wednesday.
The following by-laws were also approved:
- By-laws 1 to 5 PDF file ( 25 MB)
- By-laws 6 to 24 PDF file (22 MB)
- By-laws 25 to 31 PDF file (2.3 MB)
- By-law 32 PDF file (1.2 MB)
A Public Hearing took place in the evening and six agenda items were approved with no changes:
- Regulation Redesign – Amendments to the Zoning and Development By-law, Various Official Development Plans, Parking By-law and Various Land Use and Development Policies and Guidelines PDF file (29KB)
- Heritage Designation: 2006 Whyte Avenue (Bell Residence) PDF file (18 KB)
- Rezoning: 1008 West 52nd Avenue PDF file (20 KB)
- Rezoning: 6218-6230 Oak Street PDF file (20 KB)
- Rezoning: 404-434 West 23rd Avenue PDF file (20 KB)
- Rezoning: 708-796 Renfrew Street PDF file (25 KB)
After hearing from a number of speakers regarding the rezoning of 4575 Granville Street PDF file (25 KB), Council recessed and will reconvene at 6pm on Thursday, June 13 to hear from further speakers.
Wednesday, June 12
Following a presentation by staff PDF file (4 MB)and hearing from speakers regarding the Report Back on a Renter's Office the previous day, Council approved the administrative report PDF file (823 KB) as amended.
Staff provided Council with a Homelessness Update including a report and presentation PDF file (169 KB) on the 2019 Homeless Count and rapid response to homelessness through partnerships PDF file (9 MB), as well as a report about 2019 Homelessness Action Week and supportive housing grants, and grant to Metro Vancouver Aboriginal Executive Council (169 KB) which council approved unanimously.
Council also approved the following staff reports:
- Contract award for supply and delivery of ready mix concrete PDF file (139 KB)
- New edition of the fire by-law PDF file (444 KB)
The motion Supporting the Call for Changing the Cheque Day PDF file (19 KB) was also approved by Council.
Finally, recommendation A for the motion Protecting Rental Housing Stock along Arterial Streets PDF file (17 KB) failed while recommendation B was approved.
The following items were referred to the Standing Committee on Policy and Strategic Priorities on Wednesday, June 19, starting at 3pm with item 6 – Reducing Truck Pollution in Clark-Knight Corridor and Other City Streets PDF file (47 KB):
- Punjabi Market at Fifty: Celebrating the Past and Planning for the Future PDF file (23 KB)
- Exploring New Forms of Hospitality in Housing Tenure to Support Purpose-Built Rental PDF file (22 KB)
- A Comprehensive Strategy for Realizing the Full Potential of the Nighttime Economy in the City of Vancouver PDF file (31 KB)
- Cannabis as an Alternative to Opiates and More Dangerous Drugs on the Downtown Eastside PDF file (83 KB)