Events, decisions, and reports at Council this week
Vancouver City Council convened this week to hear and deliberate on a variety of topics during Regular Council and the Standing Committee on City Finance and Services.
Tuesday, June 25
Regular Council started with staff from the Vancouver Economic Commission and Planning, Urban Design and Sustainability presenting an update on Economic Development Activities PDF file (8.4 MB).
Council approved the following staff reports with recommendations:
- Good Night Out: funding recommendations PDF file (58 KB)
- Contract award for construction services for the Granville Bridge Rehabilitation PDF file (37 KB)
Council also approved the following motions:
- Exploring news forms of hospitality and housing tenure to support purpose built rental PDF file (22 KB)
- Designation of Vancouver Affordable Housing Agency as agenda of the City to develop City land assets at 2031 and 2037 Stainsbury Ave PDF file (175 KB)
- Endorsing the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons, with amendments PDF file (16 KB)
The following bylaws were also approved:
A Public Hearing took place in the evening with Council not approving the application REZONING: 4575 Granville St PDF file (25 KB).
Wednesday, June 26
At Standing Committee on City Finance and Services meeting, Council approved with amendments, the staff report on the City of Reconciliation Update.
The following motions were also approved:
- UBCM Resolution - Putting a lid on donation bins PDF file (14 KB)
- UBCM Motion - Conflict of interest rules PDF file (49 KB)
- UBCM Resolution - Expanded authority to notify renters impacted by renovations PDF file (33 KB)
- Celebrating Italian culture: Welcome signage in Little Italy and a pilot program for an Italian piazza in Vancouver PDF file (19 KB)
- A comprehensive strategy for realizing the full potential of the nighttime economy in the city of Vancouver PDF file (36 KB)
- Cannabis as an alternative to opiates and more dangerous drugs on the Downtown Eastside PDF file (37 KB)
- Restoring provincial library funding PDF file (13 KB)
- Transparent process and taxation for land banks repurposed as temporary recreational properties PDF file (108 KB)
After hearing from one speaker regarding the motion on accountability for climate change PDF file (68 KB), Council recessed and will reconvene at 6pm on Thursday, June 27 to hear from further speakers.
The motion, changing the campaign period and candidate requirements for civic elections was withdrawn.